New to 1password / 2fa

Options
Harag
Harag
Community Member

Hi all

I've been using lastpass for a while now, and currently on my 14 day trial with 1p. I don't use 2fa much - got about 6 sites all on MS Authenticator on my phone.

I've read I can move the 2fa accounts from MS authenticator into 1p, which I've done as a test for one account. I've also read about making my own 1p have 2fa as well...

I have a question regarding making 1p use 2fa which is stored inside of 1p. Not fully understand the workings of 2fa, how can I log into my 1p account, and then get the 6 digit code from 1p if I can't yet log into my 1p until I authorise the 2fa. It doesn't quite make sense.

At the moment I've left 2fa OFF for my 1p account, but not sure if that is a good idea or not. I don't mind putting all the other 2fa under 1p (so the accounts are backed up).

Other than that, I'm liking what I see with 1p and I'm sure I will buy it.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

I have every 2fa code stored inside 1Password, so I can use the integrated autofill support for it. The 2fa code for 1Password itself is the one code I additionally store in an external authenticator app, so I still have access to it in case i lose access to all signed in devices or or accidentally sign out from every device. This way there is no circular dependency.

I also printed the QR code and took it to my paper documents, along with a copy of the emergency kit (contains the secret key) and the account password for backup purposes. Keep in mind, 1Pasword support isn't able, unter no circumstances, to unlock access to your account by resetting password or secret key, because the secret key and password are directly used as key for vault decryption, and they don't have them stored anywhere. They can only delete everything on request to let you start again, should you forget one of these. Only the mfa code is actually something they can remove, because it is only used to protect access, not something that encrypts or decrypts data.

• Harag
    Harag
    Community Member
    Options

@Tertius3 Great reply, many thanks. I thought this might be the case as the circular dependency made no sense to me. I've got my emergency kit all saved out. and my next question was if I put 2fa on 1password using say MS Auth if anything happened to me, then my spouse wouldn't be able to get into 1password using the emergency kit without the 2fa...

But you answered this as well -- Print out the QR code and take note of the code with it, put that in the emergency kit at well -- guess this would also be a good idea for when I change my phone to something else.

Again many thanks., I feel much more at ease now putting 2fa on it all.

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @Harag! I'm so pleased to hear that @Tertius3 was able to help out here (thanks for the assist!).

If you have any further questions or concerns, don't hesitate to reach back out 😄

• Harag
    Harag
    Community Member
    Options

@1P_Gem, many thanks. It does make sense now I've been playing around with it over the weekend. I've now got the job of going through them all and checking it's imported correctly from LP before finally saying good bye to LP.

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @Harag! I'm so pleased to hear that it's making more sense now you've had a chance to try things out. If you run into any trouble along the way, or have any additional questions, let us know 😄

This discussion has been closed.