Password History delete items

Options
marktold
marktold
Community Member

I have searched the web and here but did not find the answer.

Is it possible to delete some or the entire password history. The reason I asked this because I have not yet changed all my password to new super fantastic secure password.

I have move some with new password over to shared (family access) and family can now see my old password and would be able to figure out the system I had before using 1password.

So deleting some history would be helpfull.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Ekalb
    Ekalb
    Community Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

I don't think there is a built-in tool.
    If it is only for a few entries, you can create a new entry for each of them and copy the elements of the old one there and then erase those which contain the history of the passwords.
    I don't see any other solution.

• Hello @marktold,

Thanks for reaching out and your interest in the ability to delete the password history of items. @Ekalb is correct, we do not have a tool to remove the password history of items. As suggested, the best workaround is to copy the current elements to a newly created item and delete (or archive) the item with the history, if no longer needed.

We're currently tracking a feature request to add the ability to delete password history on an individual item basis. While I can't make any promises about future implementation, I've included a +1 for you for the team's consideration when reviewing this idea. 👍

ref: IDEA-I-954

• marktold
    marktold
    Community Member
    Options

thx for the quick responses
    Markus

• Hello again, @marktold - happy to help!

Have a great day!

• scottwiggins
    scottwiggins
    Community Member
    Options

I would like this ability too -- at least for admins.

• ag_mike_d
    edited October 2022
    Options

Thanks, @Scottwiggins - I've submitted a vote on your behalf for this feature request. 👍

ref: IDEA-I-954

• 3rdStng
    3rdStng
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for me too please.
    Ideally, when you duplicate the item, the created and modified date/time should be reset as well. It is easier to duplicate items vs copy/paste line by line. As an alternate, being able to edit two items via the desktop app would make this easier to copy/paste between the two.

• Hello @3rdstng,

I've sent your +1 along to the team with regard the potential to remove password history from items, as well your suggestion of being able to edit two items simultaneously via the desktop app.

Ideally, when you duplicate the item, the created and modified date/time should be reset as well.

Duplicated item creation/modification dates are expected to remain in place as this item is a duplicate of the original item. If you'd like to have fresh creation date, the best course of action would be to instead create a new item.

Thanks for passing along this feedback.

ref: 30958546
    ref: 30959077

• kai2
    kai2
    Community Member
    Options

+1 I have exactly the same problem. Shared some account to family, but don't want them to see my old password that was used in a lot of places.

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @kai2! Thanks for letting us know that you're running into the same problem, and would also be interested in a method of removing the password history from items. I've gone ahead and filed your feedback with our Product team as well 😄

ref: 32060294

• kai2
    kai2
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you 1P_Gem!
    You know, this could also be an important feature for family peace :) Image my wife found my ex-girlfriend's name / birthday in my old passwords :P

• On behalf of Gem, you're most welcome! 😀

• SoKal
    SoKal
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for me, too.

Say, I tried a workaround, but it failed. I exported a record, edited the PIF file, deleted the "passwordHistory" item, saved the file, imported the PIF. Alas, 1Password responded with "Imported 0 items." Are PIF "locked" in some way?

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @SoKal, thanks for adding your +1 here - I've passed this along to our product team 😄

At the moment, our suggested workaround is to create a new item and copy over your credentials, then delete the original item. Based on your description, it sounds as if you may be using 1Password 7, as it's not possible to export a 1PIF file from 1Password 8. It's important to note that 1Password 7 is no longer supported, and will only be receiving critical security updates moving forward. As such, any future changes we make to the password history feature will be found in 1Password 8.

If you'd like to give 1Password 8 a try, you can check the system requirements and download the app from the links below:

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions or concerns, let us know!

ref: 33086437

• clarino
    clarino
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

+1 for me too but here's a different scenario:

My mom visited a bank site where either Chrome refused to offer the password (perhaps it needed an update) or she unthinkingly ignored the offer for 1P and she instead entered her 1P password as the site password. Whichever it was, 1P then saved her 1P password to her bank's account. She called me. I saw her bank account password was now her 1P password and reset it bank was stuck seeing it in the history with no way to remove it short of recreating her account, ugh.

Of course, now I'm wondering if she's inadvertently done this with any of her other accounts. Is there a way to search through password histories?

By the way, as I was recreating the login entry by hand, I noticed that:
    New Item > Login > add more
    does not let you select "Link to a related item" until you first save and re-edit. Only upon editing an existing login does that show up. Bug, right?

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @clarino, thanks for taking the time to reach out with the details of this scenario you ran into! I've filed your feedback with our product team, including all of the details you've given here 😄

ref: 33567879

Is there a way to search through password histories?

At the moment it's not possible to search through password histories, so manually checking the password history for each item individually would be the best bet here. You may find it helpful to use the desktop app and sort the item list by Date modified in order to see which items have had any recent changes.

By the way, as I was recreating the login entry by hand, I noticed that:
    New Item > Login > add more
    does not let you select "Link to a related item" until you first save and re-edit. Only upon editing an existing login does that show up. Bug, right?

This sounds like it could be the intended behaviour here - the new item menu doesn't include this option as the new item hasn't yet been saved into a specific vault. Items can only be linked with other items that are in the same vault.

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions or feedback, let me know!

• clarino
    clarino
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @1P_Gem for explaining a new item hasn't yet been saved into a specific vault. However, there is certainly an intended vault and it appears right next to the Save button (on the desktop 1P, anyway). So it makes sense to let a user link to an item in that vault.

If the user creates a link and then changes the vault, 1P should pop up a message pointing out that the link will be invalidated with an offer to 1) go ahead with the vault change and link invalidation or 2) cancel the vault change.

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @clarino, thanks for getting back to me! I can definitely see how the workflow you've suggested would be more convenient and intuitive, and I've passed your feedback along to our Product team in the form of a feature request.

If you have any further questions or feedback, let me know 😄

ref: 33633907

This discussion has been closed.