1password and storing 2fa codes

Options
Harag
Harag
Community Member

Switching over to 1p from LP, I found I can now store my 2fa codes in 1p for sites by scanning the QR code. can I at this point access the actual code itself (not the 6 digit number). for then typing into my phones authenticator at a later point if needed, or when I switch phones?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Harag
    Harag
    Community Member
    Options

Alternative, Can I actually save images of the QR or the code into a field ?

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

You can access the secret code any time later in edit mode (click the edit button) by clicking the field. In view mode, the field becomes the generated ever-changing 6 digit number.

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @Harag, thanks for reaching out! As Tertius3 (thanks for the assist!) mentions, you can see the code itself by clicking on the field when in edit mode for an item.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask 😄

• Harag
    Harag
    Community Member
    Options

@Tertius3 , @1P_Gem - Ahh didn't realise. Many thanks ;) saves putting an image in there. or printing out a load of paper. So far I'm only printing out one QR code for 2fa for 1password and using 3rd party auth app for that. rest I'm moving into 1password. :)

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

I confess, I also save screenshots of these QR codes in some "secret location" of my disk. It's actually not very secure, I know. This habit is a leftover from the beginnings of these mfa codes, where it wasn't possible to have a backup of these codes or change the authenticator app without account action, because it wasn't possible to export these codes again. Now, most authenticator apps including 1Password support some kind of export or backup one way or the other, so there is no risk of losing access to them any more.

I guess I can stop doing that now and delete the screenshots.

• Harag
    Harag
    Community Member
    Options

@Tertius3 LOL. I don't have many 2fa sites in my MS Auth only about 6-7 so moving them to 1password will be easy (I'll just recreate them). then the only one on my phone will be for 1p... but for my "emergency Kit" for my better half, she would need to use it to get into my 1p when I'm no longer around. Yes it's sad but we have to think of these things,

Thanks again to you and the 1p team members, I know I'm new and have noobie type questions.

This discussion has been closed.