No ability to invoke 1P from iPad under certain circumstances.

Options
camner
camner
Community Member

This morning I was using my iPad and clicked on a link that went to the New York Times site. That is paywalled, so I clicked on the link to login, and this is what I saw.

As you can see, the cursor placed itself in the email address field and the keyboard came up. But there was no way to get to 1P to access my login credentials. The URL that I have for the NYT in 1P is https://myaccount.nytimes.com/auth/hdlogin?URI=https://homedelivery.nytimes.com/HDS/HDSHome.do&OQ=modeQ3DHDSHome&hd=1

What I think is relevant is that this is a two-step login process. I first have to put in the username (which is my email), and then submit that to be taken to another page where I need to enter my password. Interestingly, if I manually type my username/email address and go to the next page, I can use 1P on the password page without a problem

I have noticed this before when there is a two-step login process. So, is there a way to resolve this so that I don't have to manually type in the username/email address?

1Password Version: 8.10.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iPadOS 16.5
Browser:_ Safari for iOS

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @camner! 👋

I'm sorry that you're having trouble filling your login into the NYTimes website. In your screenshot, is that Chrome or another non-Safari website?

On the iPhone and iPad the detection and filling of fields is handled by iOS itself using a technology called Password AutoFill. If a field isn't being detected by iOS then there isn't anything that 1Password can do since we're not involved in the detection/filling process; 1Password just provides the data for the experience. I have seen reports where pages with a "two-step login" process (as you mentioned) do tend to cause this sort of issue. I do have two suggestions that can help:

1. Two-page login pages seems to be better detected by Password AutoFill when open in Safari rather than in a third-party browser.
    2. Alternatively, we have an extension for Safari on iOS that works great with two-step login pages: Get to know 1Password for Safari on your iPhone or iPad

I hope that helps! 🙂

-Dave

• camner
    camner
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply.

In your screenshot, is that Chrome or another non-Safari website?
    As I think about it, I am not 100% sure. I am pretty sure that I was in my Google feed and clicked (tapped) there, and if that is correct, then I was in the internal Google browser. I can understand why it is harder for 1P to support this, and I will try to remember to "open in Safari" when I'm in the situation and needing a login.

On the iPhone and iPad the detection and filling of fields is handled by iOS itself using a technology called Password AutoFill. If a field isn't being detected by iOS then there isn't anything that 1Password can do since we're not involved in the detection/filling process; 1Password just provides the data for the experience.
    Thanks for the explanation. Given what you said, I can see why it would be harder for 1Password to handle things in iOS in comparison to macOS.

Alternatively, we have an extension for Safari on iOS that works great with two-step login pages: Get to know 1Password for Safari on your iPhone or iPad
    Thanks for this, but I already had that extension active. I'm not quite sure if you were saying that once activated, this extension should work automatically, or whether I would need to manually invoke it when I wanted a 2-step login to work better.

Finally, and this is simply a point of curiosity, I wonder why things work better for filling in the password field after I have manually entered the username in that field?

• Dave_1P
    Options

@camner

Once you've turned on 1Password for Safari, you'll need to fill your login using the menu that appears below the login rather than the "Passwords" prompt that appears above your keyboard:

The 1Password extension only works in Safari so if you open Chrome you won't be able to use it there.

Finally, and this is simply a point of curiosity, I wonder why things work better for filling in the password field after I have manually entered the username in that field?

The issue Password AutoFill seems to run into with two-step login pages seems to affect username fields more than password fields. Give 1Password for Safari a try and let me know how that goes. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.