To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Steps required to enter credit card info when making a purchase, and other questions

Options
Calis
Calis
Community Member
edited June 2023 in Memberships

I switched to Dashlane from LastPass after LP had a security breach. I considered 1Password but first tried Dashlane, and it seemed okay enough. However, an annoying features of Dashlane is that I have to enter my master password every time I want to enter my credit card to make an on line purchase, and often I have to enter some form of authentication (either a "biometric" code or my master pw) just to enter my email address when filling out my name, address, etc. Plus it signs me out every two weeks (or more frequently) by default. I am considering switching to 1Password and wonder if the same steps would be required in these circumstances, and if I would get automatically signed out automatically after X amount of time. Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Ekalb
    Ekalb
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hello,
    The best way to see if the qualities of 1Password meet your expectations is to have a free trial.
    1Password is free to try for 14 days, so you have plenty of time to decide if it’s right for you or not.
    I advise you to install the version on your computer (and your smartphone if you wish) in addition to the browser extension.

• Hi @Calis,

While I agree with the above user that the best way to see if 1Password is right for you is to give it a try, I can provide you some more information!

1Password does require the account password every 2 weeks as a default setting however, this can be adjusted to every 2 weeks, every 30 days or never; additionally, upon closing the 1Password app, it will lock, however, if you leave the app open you are able to change how often you need to unlock 1Password by managing your auto-lock settings. Your settings aren’t synced between devices, so you can use the ideal settings on each one via the steps within our How to set 1Password to lock automatically support article.

• Calis
    Calis
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. Do you have to enter your master password before 1Password will auto fill credit card information?

• @Calis,

If 1Password is not unlocked on your device, you would need to either enter your account password or unlock via biometrics (depending on your set-up); if 1Password is unlocked, then your account password or biometrics would not be required.

• Ekalb
    Ekalb
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_josephine,
    Whether for Windows or smartphone application, you can adjust the period when the application remains unlocked.
    Read this for more details : https://support.1password.com/auto-lock/

• @Ekalb,

Thanks for providing the above link; that's correct - you are able to adjust the time that 1Password stays open for on your devices.

• Ekalb
    Ekalb
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_josephine,
    Excuse me, my previous message should have been addressed to at @Calis.

• Calis
    Calis
    Community Member
    Options

I am confused. The link above above has the following: "1Password will always lock when you quit your browser." That implies I would have to re-enter my master password every time I open a closed browser? The auto lock time options only apply to a browser that is consistently open?

• @Calis,

That is correct, there is no way to adjust this behavior - upon closing your browser or locking/quitting the 1Password app, you will need to re-input the account password the next time you access 1Password through either of those avenues.

@Ekalb, not a problem - thank you for clarifying!

• Ekalb
    Ekalb
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

@Calis

To clarify: the 1Password extension will not lock when closing the browser if two conditions are met:
    1. The 1Password app and its extension are linked. How to do this?
    In de Password app : Setting > Browser > Check Connect with 1Password in the browser.

1. 1Password app stays unlocked

If the app and the browser extension are linked, the security settings are managed by the app and are no longer available in the extension. You will see this in the extension:

• @Ekalb,

Thank you for providing that helpful clarification.

This discussion has been closed.