Passkey integration blocking login with yubikey

Options
xeyr
xeyr
Community Member

I have a work website that requires a yubikey for auth. 1P is detecting this as supporting passkey, and prompting me to unlock 1Password. This prompt, even after being cancelled, does not allow Firefox to detect the yubikey - breaking the login flow unless 1P is unlocked.

I don't want the unlock prompt there, but I understand why it is. But this should not block usage of the browser native functionality until 1Password is unlocked.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.7 (81007041)
Extension Version: 1Password in the browser 2.12.1 21200101, on BETA
OS Version: macOS 13.4 (22F66)
Browser:_ Firefox 102.11.0esr (64-bit)

Comments

• xeyr
    xeyr
    Community Member
    Options

FYI - I tried flipping the "Stop competing sign-in popups" toggle in the extension settings, which had no impact.

I've disabled the setting to offer to save/sign in with passkeys, which has mitigated the issue - but the solution should not be disabling all passkey functionality to stop 1P from hijacking the browser's own security key support.

• Hi @xeyr

When you close the 1Password prompt for signing in with a passkey, the request will then be passed onto the browser's manager for signing in with a passkey in a different location or with a security key. Since that doesn't seem to be happening here, I'd like to take a closer look at this for you.

Are you able to disclose the website you're using that's asking you for your YubiKey for authentication? That'll help me replicate this issue as close to your experience as possible but I can also find another way to test this on my end if not. Could you also let me know if this is only happening when 1Password is locked in Firefox or if this happens when the extension is unlocked too? :)

• xeyr
    xeyr
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not able to disclose the URL publicly, but I can send a private message with the URL as it is accessible from the internet.

This only happens with the 1Password is locked. If the extension is unlocked, I'm not prompted by 1Password, and the Firefox-native security key process works normally.

• @xeyr

If you go ahead and send us an email at support+x@1password.com with the included information in the email, alongside the link to the URL you're seeing this on, we can give this a test on our end. It may also be the case of it needing to be filed with the development team, and so email is the best place if we have any follow up questions:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/140631/passkey-integration-blocking-login-with-yubikey#latest
    • Your forum username: xeyr

Once you send that, one of my colleagues here at 1Password Support will be able to help you further.

• xeyr
    xeyr
    Community Member
    Options

@jac.pd_1p Done - thanks

• Dave_1P
    Options

@xeyr

Thank you for sending in the email. Since we now have a communications channel open there, I'm closing this thread to prevent duplication of effort. 🙂

-Dave

ref: GZJ-76273-898

This discussion has been closed.