Apart from Google, which websites work with 1Password passkeys?

Options
michael2
michael2
Community Member

Question: I downloaded the beta extension for Safari in order to start creating passkeys. Following along with a YouTube video, I was able to create a passkey for my Google account. What I want to know is what other websites work with 1Password passkeys? I recognize you don't have an exhaustive list (how could you?), but I'd welcome even a few other examples.

Bonus question: once I create a passkey for a website (e.g., Google), should I delete the password saved in the login or hold onto it?

1Password Version: 8.10.7
Extension Version: 2.12.0
OS Version: macOS 13.4
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:Passkeys

Comments

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

They do have a list: https://passkeys.directory

• chris55
    chris55
    Community Member
    Options

There aren’t many sites that use the term passkey or allow you to use them and remove the password.

Most sites allow you using them as a security key for 2FA. So you still have to enter a password but then it will prompt you for your security key, then the extension kicks in and uses the passkey.

To be honest, the whole industry roll out could have been better. Different sites are calling them different things and allowing you to use them in different ways.

• michael2
    michael2
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you both!

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member
    Options

This is interesting. I went through the list and added a few passkeys for sites that I use. But for these companies, I now have both 1Password user/pw entries as well as the new Passkey. Both of them will work, I guess. So isn't this technically less secure since there two ways of signing into the accounts?

• GreyM1P
    Options

@mirv

Adding a passkey adds a stronger way of signing in, rather than a weaker one, so signing in to your accounts is no less secure than it was.

Some websites will let you use a passkey exclusively (with no password), whereas some, such as Google, still need you to have a password as a fallback. As always, a strong random password should be used in cases where you still need to have one.

As the adoption of passkeys grows, you'll probably start to see them being offered first, before passwords, when you sign up to new websites. Or, you might get a notification when you sign in to an existing website with a password that you can use a passkey instead. It'll be up to whoever runs the website to make that decision, just like it is now about whether or not to offer two-factor authentication, but we'd definitely like to see a speedy rollout! :)

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member
    Options

All of the sites I tried let me add a passkey without eliminating the id/pw login method. I agree, it would be nice to see a speedy and relatively universal rollout of passkeys.

• Ryan Parman
    Ryan Parman
    Community Member
    Options

https://passkeys.directory only lists the sites that allow them for login, not 2FA.

There are several more websites where you can use passkeys as a replacement for TOTP codes, that are not listed on 1Password's directory.

I'm annoyed by this.

• Dave_1P
    edited June 2023
    Options

@Ryan Parman

You can view a list of websites that use a passkey for MFA by toggling the following option: Viewing > MFA supported

There are several more websites where you can use passkeys as a replacement for TOTP codes, that are not listed on 1Password's directory.

Passkeys.directory is community-driven, if you run into websites that support passkeys and that aren't yet listed then please report them so that they can be added: Passkeys Directory Contribution Form

Since the original poster's question has been answered I'm going to close this thread. If you do have any further questions then please feel free to open a new thread. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.