1Password Android application no longer working on Chromebook

Options
albertico
albertico
Community Member

Hi,

The 1Password Android application used to work with the Lenovo C13 Yoga Chromebook but it stopped working. The Android app is available in the Play Store and you can install it but it immediately crashes when you attempt to run it. What's going on? I do have and use the 1Password Chrome extension but in some cases the Android app is way more practical. The Chrome extension takes a little bit too much time to open big vaults and feels laggy at times.

How can we get the Android app to work again? Is anyone else having issues with the Android app on a Chromebook?

Thanks,

-Alberto

1Password Version: 8.10.6
Extension Version: 2.11.0
OS Version: ChromeOS 112.0.5615.134
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Hi @albertico, thanks for writing in and letting us know about this crash. My apologies for any disruption to your workflow.

The device details you included specify that 8.10.6 is installed on your Chromebook. I'd like to ask you to install the production version then check if there's a change in behavior. You can find steps to leave the beta in our guide: Use 1Password beta releases.

Let us know how that goes and thanks again.

• jamiemccarthy
    jamiemccarthy
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having exactly the same problem since I upgraded to 8.10.6. I am not and have never been in the beta program. I have tried uninstalling, rebooting, and reinstalling, and the effect is the same. The Chromebook Android app crashes instantly on startup. It's completely useless.

Luckily for me, the Chrome extension still works.

ChromeOS Version 113.0.5672.114 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    Extension: 1Password in the browser 2.10.0, 20246, on STABLE channel

• Hi @jamiemccarthy, thanks for reporting this behavior on your device.

We have recently identified the source of this crash on ChromeOS devices that emerged around the release of 8.10.6. The development team here is aware and investigating the issue. My apologies for any disruption to your workflow.

Currently, as you mentioned, you can continue to use the 1Password extension on ChromeOS devices and as well as accessing your information on the 1Password website 1Password.com.

If you have any questions or there's anything we can help with, just let us know!

ref: dev/core/core#21946

• jamiemccarthy
    jamiemccarthy
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the update, I'll look for the next release.

• Happy to help!

• Claudio7ita
    Claudio7ita
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I have the same problem with the Android version, I am running the last version both of 1Password for Android and the Chrome OS on my Chromebook.
    Waiting for an update.
    Thanks

• Hi @Claudio7ita, thanks for joining the conversation.

You can keep an eye on our 1Password for Android release page for when that fix is available: 1Password Releases.

As mentioned above, using the 1Password extension and the web interface on 1Password.com can help bridge the gap until it is the beta and production channels.

Let us know if we can help with anything else!

• liable5800
    liable5800
    Community Member
    Options

It’s been over a month since this bug was reported. When is this going to be fixed?

• GreyM1P
    edited June 2023
    Options

@liable5800 – It looks like there's been some progress on this issue in the last few days, and although there's no guarantee of when the fix will be released, things are moving in the right direction, so I'd suggest keeping an eye on our release notes when new versions are released:

1Password Releases – Android – What's New

Look for issue number #21946 or !17842 in the notes to see information about this specific bug.

• liable5800
    liable5800
    Community Member
    Options

@GreyM1P Ok I’ll do that. Thanks for the info.

• On behalf of Grey, you're very welcome!

• Hello everyone. I just wanted to share that we have included a fix for the issue in our most recent beta release of 1Password for Android, version 8.10.8-24. When you have the chance to update, let us know if you continue to encounter a crash or any other unexpected behavior. Thanks!

• liable5800
    liable5800
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_timothy It seems to be working now. Thanks for fixing the issue! 😀

• Hi @liable5800 thanks for confirming that! I'm glad to hear you're up and running again. I'll be sure to pass your thanks along to the dev team.

This discussion has been closed.