what does "the database was terminated" mean?

Options
TripleHjr
TripleHjr
Community Member
edited June 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I was clearing all cookies from Safari and this came up--

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 13.4
Browser:_ safari
Referrer: forum-search:what does "the database was terminated" mean?

Comments

• Hey @TripleHjr,

When you clear Safari’s history, or other settings in the browser it may trigger the error message as you have seen. Allow me to explain briefly:

In Safari, the indexedDB data of 1Password for Safari, which contains all the settings and processes to establish 1Password’s functionality, also gets wiped out when Safari clears cache/history. This behaviour can also happen it you have “Block all cookies” enabled under Safari’s Settings > Privacy tab.

You should be able to close this tab and continue using 1Password. You can find out more information here: If you see "The 1Password browser extension needed to restart"

Let us know if you have any questions.

• TripleHjr
    TripleHjr
    Community Member
    Options

Let's see if I understand--so each night when I shut down my system and re-open in the morning and re-enter my Master Password for 1PW the DB regenerates and all is well?

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TripleHjr Not necessarily -- 1Password for Safari's connection to your account database only gets wiped if you clear your cache, cookies, or history. In the absence of those actions, the database connection will still be in place.

Does that help a bit? If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know.

• TripleHjr
    TripleHjr
    Community Member
    Options

I mis-communicated---I meant that I clear cache and cookies , then shut down entire system--when I open up the next time and open 1PW with the Master Password then it has the 1PW database? right?--I guess your warning "the database will be terminated" I guess has set me to wondering if it is terminated how does 1PW work unless I quit it and re-launch?

• Hey @TripleHjr,

The message basically means that the 1Password browser extension needed to restart so it could rebuild your browser’s local database. This is something it does automatically so you can continue working without needing to restart your system. You should jus the able to close the tab and continue using 1Password as expected.

I hope this clears it up.

This discussion has been closed.