1Password8 Setup

Options
AntonioM
AntonioM
Community Member
edited June 2023 in Families

I'm finding setting up a 1Password8 Family plan to be challenging, despite having a decades of technical experience and routinely managing friends and family's computers. There are so many things to consider that I'm wondering if there is a checklist somewhere to help a family "organizer".

Here's just what I've discovered so far (and I'm by no means finished setting things up):
1) setting up the initial family group,
2) transferring passwords to it,
3) inviting family members,
4) transferring their passwords to their computer,
5) keeping track of all the emergency codes,
6) downloading, installing and activating browser extensions,
7) disabling each browser's password manager,
8) disabling password auto-filling, etc... within browsers,
9) whether to delete passwords in browsers,
10) whether to disable the Mac OS keychain -- and whatever the equivalent is on other operating systems
11) setting up a phone/tablet-based on a computer by entering, scanning or sending a link,
12) disabling any authenticator or similar apps on each type of phone/tablet (this is particularly mysterious to me)
13) whether to use 2-factor authentication (I think it's best not to do this for 1P8 itself, but how do you choose which others?)
14) teaching family members the many ways 1Password can be used to fill passwords on all their different browsers/devices
15) teaching them how to deal with cases where 1Password has problems (at least initially) finding what password to use (for example, "linking apps" like Skype or Microsoft Teams to a Microsoft account)
16) teaching them how to replace poor passwords with good ones (a huge task in itself)

If I can think of over a dozen just off the top of my head, I can only imagine how many more there are that I've missed. I'm not blaming 1Password -- these are the practicalities of modern digital life -- but I'm just saying a check list would be helpful from those who really know what's needed.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 13.4 (22F66)
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @AntonioM,

Feedback like this is really valuable, and I’d appreciate if you could share more information about it.

It’s helpful to know what issues you faced or what information you would find helpful when setting up the account for yourself and your family members, so I can share your suggestions with the appropriate team for consideration.

• AntonioM
    AntonioM
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

My main point is that there are so many tasks that it would be good to have a check list. Otherwise, it’s hard to know if you’ve completed the 1Password setup process. With a check list the user would know — and would also be able to communicate with support about unclear check list items.

If you look at my list above, you will see that some items have multiple subtasks. Detailing those is less important. Once you’ve done a task once it’s generally easy to apply that knowledge. So I encourage you to have a check list that clearly distinguishes between major and minor tasks.

Once 1Password is properly set up, it’s easy and great. But a key concept users need to understand is that 1Password needs to “learn” how to do things when new situations come up.

This happens all the time when a user fills out a form for a new site, or a site that may have old information. Users need to know that they must “teach” 1Password about this new site; for example, by filing the form and “updating” the info, etc… and ensuring that the label associated with this site is something the user will recognize in the future.

The above are my main points, but here's a special note about setting up the Safari browser extension: since it’s not the same procedure as with other browsers, I think it’s important to emphasize that one should go to the Apple Store to install that browser extension first, and then after that activate the extension within the Safari > Settings… Confusingly, Safari also has a submenu item in the Safari menu called “Safari extensions…” (which just links to the Apple Store).

Looking forward to the check list so I can check whether I've missed anything...

• @AntonioM,

While I can't make any promises, I've filed a feature request internally to bring this to the attention of our team. They regularly review feature requests from our customers to consider what should be added or changed to future versions of 1Password. Your feedback, along with feedback from our other customers, helps them immensely with their planning.

Thank you again for your suggestion, we appreciate your feedback and love hearing from you.

In regards to your set up, I'd be happy to make sure everything is set up correctly - to avoid sharing your account information here, can you send us an email to support+forum@agilebits.com from your account's registered email address so we can continue the conversation there.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

This discussion has been closed.