Does 1Password 8 Open & Fill work on Safari?

Options
kitester
kitester
Community Member
edited May 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Open and Fill is not working on my iMac when I hover over "website" in the 1Password 8 application, click, and select "Open and Fill." I just upgraded to 1Password 8. (It worked fine in 1Password 7.)

My wife has a much newer iMac, and it doesn't appear to be working there in Safari either.

Is it just plain broken, or can you work with me to get it working? This was a huge timesaver....

Thank you,

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.4 81004032, on PRODUCTION
Extension Version: 2.10.0
OS Version: macOS 10.15.7
Browser:_ Safari Version 15.6.1 (15613.3.9.1.16, 15613)
Referrer: forum-search:safari fill doesn't work

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @kitester! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that "Open and fill" isn't working for both you and your wife. As a start, can you please try the following steps:

1. Close all open web browsers.
    2. Right-click on the 1Password icon at the top of your Mac's screen and then click Quit. Wait until the icon disappears.
    3. Double-click on 1Password from your Mac's Application folder.
    4. Open your web browser.

If the issue still occurs after trying these steps then can you tell me what happens when you click "Open and fill"? Does the website open in Safari but your login information isn't filled? Or does the website not open at all?

-Dave

• kitester
    kitester
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, the issue still occurs after following the above steps. (Ironically, I am unable to fill the Email/Username and Password on this very 1password community website.). The same did not work on my wife's newer iMac.

In response to your question, when I click "Open and fill" the website opens in Safari but the login information isn't filled.

On my wife's computer, I followed some instructions to click on a circle with 3 horizontal lines inside. I can never get to this circle with 3 horizontal lines, as I am stuck as shown in the screenshot. Clicking on "Open 1Password" never goes away no matter how many times you click on it....

• ag_tommy
    Options

@kitester

Did you open 1Password for Safari at least once and follow the directions being sure to allow it access to all sites? We need that permission to perform the following on your behalf.

• The ability to scan (read) the page HTML to determine if it’s fillable. This also tells us where/when to inject the inline menu.

• The ability to autofill (write) to the site. While performing an autofill, it effectively changes the HTML. When you submit the autofill, it will allow you to authenticate it properly.

There is no need to add 1Password for Safari to your login items or Dock. It only needs to be opened once for the initial configuration. From then on it can live silently in your Applications folder.

--

Right-click on the toolbar icon and select settings. That may get you where you're looking to go.

• kitester
    kitester
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, @ag_tommy. Your suggestion to right-click on the toolbar icon did the trick. So my iMac is now working fine.

My wife's iMac is still down for the count, though. I think I know why. Her iMac 1Password application is working fine and is signed into HER family account. However, I am unable to Unlock and remove my own 1Password family account from the 1Password for Safari app.

I tried deleting the 1Password for Safari app, rebooted, redownloaded and installed 1Password for Safari app again, followed the set-up instructions, and yet MY unwanted 1Password family account still appears in 1Password for Safari. And I can't unlock it or delete.

How to proceed? Thank you.

• ag_tommy
    Options

@kitester

It sounds as if 1Password for Safari and 1Password for Mac are sharing the lock state, which they should. Can you open 1Password 8 and then input your password. This assumes you each have different passwords. If not, and they are the same you can input the password to unlock. Once unlocked visit the account menu in the menu bar and then in the respective account click it and then sign out. This should sign you out of the account in both locations. (application and browser)

• ag_tommy
    Options

@kitester

• kitester
    kitester
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy this did the trick. It didn't sign me out of 1Password for Safari, but after signing out of iPassword 8, I was then able to sign out of 1Password for Safari. Signing back into iPassword 9 with the right family account then populated both iPassword 8 and 1Password for Safari. And now the fill function works. Many thanks!

• @kitester,

On behalf of Tommy, you are most welcome.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

• mkenright
    mkenright
    Community Member
    Options

I have read through all the relevant comments from 1Password, and tried to do all the fixes, but I continue to have a problem with 1Password on iMac. I have updated all the software (Ventura 13.4, Safari 16.5, 1Password for Mac 8.10.7) but open and fill still does not work. It gets me to the website log in page, but will not fill in my name and password. Message says unlock 1Password, but 1Password is already open, so I have to (laboriously) copy and paste the name and then the password. I’ve tried this on several sites and the problem seems to apply to all sites I try and log in to. [Working fine on my iPad and iPhone now.]. Can you help me out?

• Hey @mkenright,

It sounds like 1Password in your browser may be having a hard time connecting with your 1Password desktop app. Before we go any further can you give these steps a try:

1. Right click the little 1Password icon on the top menu bar of your Mac (where the clock is) and select "Quit".
    2. Quit Safari by right clicking its icon in the Dock and selecting "Quit".
    3. Open and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open Safari and test if it is working properly.

Let us know how you get on.

• mkenright
    mkenright
    Community Member
    Options

I did the above and tried to use open and fill. Did not work. I tried it on two different sites and neither worked. Next?

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mkenright, sorry to hear that "open and fill" is still not working. I'm curious, are you always asked to unlock the extension in Safari even though the 1Password app is unlocked? Have you always had this issue with 1Password for Safari and the 1Password app?

Additionally, I'd like to ask a few more questions:

• Are the 1Password app and your Safari browser both installed in your /Applications folder?
    • Do you have any other extensions installed in Safari? If so, what are they?
    • Do you have any anti-virus or anti-malware programs on your computer?
    • Do you use a firewall, proxy, or VPN?

Looking forward to hearing from you again!

• mkenright
    mkenright
    Community Member
    Options

Joy1P. In answer to your questions. Yes, I am always asked to unlock the extension in Safari though the 1Password app is unlocked. No, I have not always had this as an issue. When I first installed 1Password 2 months ago, the open and fill worked on my Mac. Yes, both apps are installed in my Applications Folder. No other extensions in Safari. No antivirus or anti-malware programs and I do not use a firewall that I know of (I believe Apple has some of these protections built in, but I haven’t added anything else).

• Thanks for getting back to us @mkenright, I'm sorry for the trouble.

I think it would be useful if we could take a closer look at some logs and what may be going wrong.

I'd like to ask you to send over a console log from your browser as well as a diagnostics report:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thank you!

• mkenright
    mkenright
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

Ok. I did all this and have the console and diagnostics files ready to drop them here, but could not do so. Instead I got a message “File format not allowed.” Can you provide me with an email address that I can send the files to? Just send me an email with your address to my address REMOVED and I will respond with the files attached.
    Thanks,

• mkenright
    mkenright
    Community Member
    Options

in the meantime I’ll try the support+forum email with a link to this thread

• ag_tommy
    edited June 2023
    Options

@mkenright

Thanks submitting them via email is the correct method. I've removed your email for your privacy. We'll be in touch as soon as possible.

ref: BDE-61467-879

This discussion has been closed.