"A passkey can't be created on this device" on Firefox for Google Accounts

Options
System
edited October 2023 in 1Password in the Browser
This discussion was created from comments split from: Passkeys with Firefox.

Comments

• TataruTaru
    TataruTaru
    Community Member
    Options

Using Google Passkeys in 1Password, appears to prompt Windows Hello to ask for a physical key on the 2FA, rather than any Windows Hello auth features setup. You can cancel out of it and pick phone/app verification again, but I was sort of expecting the same Hello prompt you get when logging into the main app.

• Tycho
    Tycho
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, so I'm running 1Password in the browser 2.12.0 on Firefox 113.0.2 on macOS Monterey 12.6.6 (21G646), and when I goto my Google Account, it says:

A passkey can’t be created on this device
    Your device doesn’t support creating passkeys, but you can create a passkey on another device.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @TataruTaru and @Tycho! 👋

If you're receiving a message that says "A passkey can't be created on this device" when trying to save a passkey for your Google account when using Firefox then try clicking on the Use another device button. This should allow 1Password to run in order to save the passkey.

If that still doesn't work then please make sure that you're using the latest beta version of 1Password in the browser: 1Password beta for the browser

Our developers are working on a fix so that you don't need to click on the "Use another device" button and we hope to ship the fix in an update to the beta as soon as possible.

-Dave

• TataruTaru
    TataruTaru
    Community Member
    Options

So I've come to realise if you get the Windows Hello Security Key popup, it's because you try to use passkey and 1PW tells the site it doesn't have any data for it, and falls back to the assumption you meant to use a physical key.

It seems like the extension is working, it's only Google that's giving me the issue now.

• Hey @TataruTaru,

Have you successfully saved a passkey using 1Password for your Google account?

What happens when you try to sign in with a passkey? When you see the Windows Hello prompt is your 1Password unlocked?

Feel free to send a screenshot of the prompt you are seeing if it helps to demonstrate.

• TataruTaru
    TataruTaru
    Community Member
    Options

I can save a passkey to 1Password for Google just fine. When trying to log back in on a new browser or after clearing Firefox history, Google only shows password only, as if the account doesn’t have any passkeys.

Checking the Google account confirms it has a passkey attached to it.

I only get the windows hello prompt if the Google account recognises there is a passkey, but doesn’t recognise 1Password, so drops to the fallback of a physical key in windows. (Which I never setup)

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @TataruTaru, outside of Firefox, what other browsers have you seen this issue with? If you do not clear your history, and go back to that browser to sign in again with the passkey for your Google login, are you able to do so?

There is a known issue with signing in with a passkey to Google in different browsers, so I'm curious if that's what is happening here. If you can make a recording of the behavior and share it with us via email, that would be very helpful.

If you make a recording, please ensure that it doesn't contain any private or sensitive info. Feel free to send that recording to us in email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com. With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• TataruTaru
    TataruTaru
    Community Member
    Options

@Joy_1P The ID is: [#QGV-66775-231]

It seems if I create a passkey in Edge, I can login and out using the passkey (but this is on an account that isn't using 2FA, I forgot to consider this before recording).

Once you clear history/cookies, Google no longer offers the passkey option, so it's possible they tie the knowledge of the passkey to a cookie atm?

• Thank you @TataruTaru.

I have located your ticket, let's continue troubleshooting over email.

ref: QGV-66775-231

• junglecat
    junglecat
    Community Member
    Options

I’m seeing this same issue. I can successfully save a Google passkey in 1Password and use it to login in that same browser. But, if I clear that browser’s history/cookies, or attempt to login to Google in a different browser, the passkey option is not presented , even after clicking “Try another way”.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @junglecat, it sounds like you are running into two known issues:

1. Clearing your browsing history also clears Google passkeys
    2. Google passkeys are not detected when trying to sign in via a different browser

I've added you to the tickets that our developers are using to track the issues above. In the meantime, are you able to get things working if you try to sign in with your Google passkey in the browser where it was originally created? Could you make sure not to clear your browsing data as well?

I look forward to hearing from you again.

ref: dev/core/core#22425

ref: dev/core/core#22439

• junglecat
    junglecat
    Community Member
    Options

Great thank you. Everything was working fine with the Google passkey in the browser that I originally created it in but unfortunately I cleared previously cleared the browsing data in that browser as a test which caused it to stop working. But if I delete my Google passkey and start the whole process over again to create a new one, it will work only in that browser as long as the data isn’t cleared.

I can repeat this same behavior with an eBay passkey. Interestingly though, a Best Buy passkey works across browsers and even after clearing browser data in the original browser it was created in.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@junglecat Thanks for letting us know that this happens on eBay's website too. I'll make sure it gets reported on our end. It's likely that BestBuy has a different implementation of passkey support, which is what allows for it to work better across different browsers. We'll do our best to see if there's something we can do to get things working better, but hopefully the companies mentioned here can also make improvements to their websites on their end too.

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

This discussion has been closed.