In divorce, how does wife transfer her logins to new account?

Options
hmacaulay
hmacaulay
Community Member

Husband was primary on family account. Now divorced, husband is deleting wife from family account. I cannot find anywhere where a wife can transfer her logins to open a new account. He said I will be taken off 6/20, Monday.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:In divorce, how does wife transfer her logins to new account?

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

You need to create a new account, so you have 2 accounts. One is from the old family account, the new is a brand new account. Create the new account as trial account, if you don't already have one. Can be a standalone account, don't need to be a family account. Then sign in to both accounts. That's possible with the desktop client: in the sidebar, right-click the account you're currently signed in→manage accounts→add account. Add the other account you're not signed in yet. If you didn't install the desktop client yet, do it now. Once you're signed in to both accounts with the desktop client, you see all items and vaults in both account, and you're able to select and copy all your items from the old family account to some vault in your new account. That's not possible with the website, it's only possible with the desktop client.

Do it fast and don't postpone it, since if your old account is deleted from the family account, it's gone and all items with it, unrecoverable.

• hmacaulay
    hmacaulay
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you!!!!!! Is the desktop client an app for my laptop?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@hmacaulay

That's correct. It is easiest to do this on your laptop (vs. using the browser).

Since time is of the essence, get all this done before you Monday deadline. If your account is deleted, you will lose everything, and there is no recovery.

• hmacaulay
    hmacaulay
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you! Hooray I did it!
    Question- all of my private logins are now in Recently Deleted. Do I need to Permanently Delete them? (will my ex be able to see them there?)
    Thank you again SO much

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@hmacaulay

Fantastic. A stressful time for you, so hopefully this helps reduce it, if even just a little.

When you move items to other vaults in 1Password, a Copy of those items are made and placed into the destination vault, and the original items are sent to Recently Deleted. You can delete those once you are certain you have all the items in your own account (you could verify this using the Web Interface).

The Family Organizer does not have access to your Private vault items (but could have access to any shared items). Tertius3 explains this also in the first paragraph.

Here's what the Family Organizer can do: https://support.1password.com/family-organizer/

• hmacaulay
    hmacaulay
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much- I’m relieved this is done

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

You’re very welcome. Better days ahead for you.

• @hmacaulay,
    I'm glad to see that you were able to get everything squared away; thank you @MrC, for your help!

This discussion has been closed.