1Password Families for Mac will no longer Auto-fill in Safari

Options
whydavewhy
whydavewhy
Community Member
edited June 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I have a MacBook Pro laptop, running macOS version 12.6.6 Monterey, and I am using the Safari browser, version 16.5 (17615.2.9.11.6, 17615). I also have 1Password Families for Mac, version 8.10.7 (801007041). 1Password will no longer auto-fill usernames or passwords for websites, when I use the Safari browser; however, 1Password auto-fill seems to still work perfectly with the Google Chrome browser. I have the 1Password extension, version 2.11.0 icon displaying in my Safari toolbar; when I right-click it and select 'Settings', all the Auto-fill options are selected. When I select 'Accounts & Vaults', both my Private and Shared Vaults are enabled.

My wife has the exact same setup, with the exact same computer model, software versions, and 1Password settings that I have, yet 1Password auto-fills perfectly on her Mac when using Safari; so this issue does seem to be something specific to my computer.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

David Lindsay

1Password Version: 8.10.7 (801007041)
Extension Version: 2.11.0
OS Version: macOS 12.6.6
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:1Password Families for Mac will no longer Auto-fill in Safari

Comments

• Hey @whydavewhy,

Can you let me know if you can see a 1Password icon in your Safari toolbar? If yes, what happens when you click on it, can you sign in and see your items?

Are you having trouble on a specific website or across all sites?

Any detail you can provide would be most useful.

• whydavewhy
    whydavewhy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Steph,
    Yes, the 1Password icon does display in my toolbar. When I sign in, I am able to see all my entries. Yesterday, clicking on 'Open & Fill' did not seem to work for anything, however today, there was a message in 1Password, saying that they are now hiding competing sign-in methods. 'Open and Fill' now seems to work from the icon in the tool bar, and also from the icon that appears on the sign-in portion of web pages. However, I still have one site that is not working... Certified Federal Credit Union at https://www.certifiedfed.com/#account-login. If I click on the 1Password icon that appears in the 'username' window, nothing happens (it always used to auto-fill). If I click the 1Password icon on the toolbar, the dropdown menu appears, I can select Certified Federal Credit Union / 'Open & Fill' / But then nothing happens with that either.

Three strange things I noticed...
    1) Despite the message I received today in 1Password, saying that they are now hiding competing sign-in methods, when I go to the Certified Federal Credit Union sign-in page, I can see the Apple 'Keychain' icon (which can also be used for auto-fill) sticking out from behind the 1Password icon. So it is not "hidden" in that case; it is just behind the 1Password icon, like it always has been.
    2) The second strange thing is that my wife has the exact same Mac computer, with the same macOS, and also 1Password Families for Mac, and she also has the Apple Keychain icon behind the 1Password icon on the Certified Federal Credit Union sign-in page, but when she clicks on the 1Password icon (toolbar or webpage), it auto-fills and signs-in with no problem. So this appears to be something specific to my computer.
    3) In the notification I received today in the 1Password app, I clicked on 'What's new', and it displayed a list of updates, titled, 'May 30, 2023 - 1Password for Mac 8.10.7'. One of the updates said, "Fixed an issue that could cause nothing to happen when clicking an in-page password suggestion." This is exactly the problem I am having! What is strange, is that my wife has never had that problem logging in to the Certified Credit Union website, while I still do, DESPITE both of us having the latest 1Password update. But what's even stranger, is the fact that when I checked the 1Password app's 'What's new' update list again a few minutes ago, the update description, "Fixed an issue that could cause nothing to happen when clicking an in-page password suggestion" has been removed! It's almost as if someone just realized the problem was not fixed after all, and then removed that update from the list. Isn't that odd?

Anyway, that still doesn't explain why I am not able to auto-fill my Certified Federal Credit Union sing-in info from the 1Password toolbar icon, nor the 1Password in-page icon, while my wife has no problem doing those things on her computer.

Thanks,

• whydavewhy
    whydavewhy
    Community Member
    Options

One other thing, which might have something to do with this issue... For about a month, I have been randomly getting a pop-up error message from 1Password, which says...

"The database was terminated.
    The database was unexpectedly terminated and may have become corrupt.
    1Password in the browser was reinitialized on your behalf.

• Please review your settings for 1Password in the browser
  • whydavewhy
    whydavewhy
    Community Member
    Options

(...continued...)
    My second message posted before I was finished. Here it is in full...

One other thing, which might have something to do with this issue... For about a month, I have been randomly getting a pop-up error message from 1Password, which says...

"The database was terminated.
    The database was unexpectedly terminated and may have become corrupt.
    1Password in the browser was reinitialized on your behalf.

• Please review your settings for 1Password in the browser
    • You may close this tab and continue using 1Password in the browser"
  • whydavewhy
    whydavewhy
    Community Member
    Options

One more thing...

As I mentioned in my original post, this is only a problem when I use the Safari browser to log-in to my Certified Federal Credit Union account; if I use the Google Chrome browser, when I click the 1Password in-page icon, I get the dropdown menu with my log-in choices, I then select mine, and it auto-fills perfectly.

• whydavewhy
    whydavewhy
    Community Member
    Options

My 1Password toolbar icon (1Password for Safari) is version 2.11.0.

• whydavewhy
    whydavewhy
    Community Member
    Options

Update: I just discovered that on my computer, the 1Password icons also do not work when trying to log-in to the 1Password Support Communities website (https://1password.community/entry/signin?Target=?Target=), so this problem affects multiple websites; not just the Certified Federal Credit Union website. This works fine on my wife's computer, however.

• Hey @whydavewhy,

Thank you for providing all of this information, I will do my best to cover it all.

Firstly, I would recommend disabling Safari's Keychain as it is not necessary if you are using 1Password and can cause interference. Here's how: Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser.

As for Certified Federal Credit Union, it seems strange that you are able to fill your credentials in Chrome but not in Safari. I have done some testing and I'm having a hard time replicating the behaviour you are seeing. Can you confirm it is just this specific website you are having trouble with in Safari? Are there any others?

I'm not sure if the issue you are referring to from the 'What's new' section is relevant to this one as this seems to be more website specific. You may no longer be able to see this update here because once you have read it it has now been dismissed.

I’d like to provide some detail on the message you are seeing in Safari. When you clear Safari’s history, or other settings in the browser it may trigger the error message as you have seen. In Safari, the indexedDB data of 1Password for Safari, which contains all the settings and processes to establish 1Password’s functionality, also gets wiped out when Safari clears cache/history. This behaviour can also happen it you have “Block all cookies” enabled under Safari’s Settings > Privacy tab.

You should be able to close this tab and continue working as usual, you can find out more information on this message here: If you see "The 1Password browser extension needed to restart".

I hope the above helps.

• whydavewhy
    whydavewhy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Steph,

Thanks for your detailed response! Here are the answers to your questions…

• As for Certified Federal Credit Union, it seems strange that you are able to fill your credentials in Chrome but not in Safari. (Actually, it would make perfect sense ...if Keychain was indeed causing a conflict... since Safari has the Keychain feature, and Chrome does not. The reason I hesitate to disable Keychain, is that it sometimes works faster than using the 1Password icon, and in the rare case where 1Password does not auto-fill, Keychain often does. But the reason I posted about this problem, was that Keychain never caused any conflicts on my computer, until the latest update, and more importantly, my wife has the exact same computer model, software versions, and settings as I do - with Keychain enabled - yet she has no conflicts whatsoever; everything auto-fills perfectly on her Mac in Safari. So my problem either has something to do with a setting that I may have missed, or something being corrupted; not a conflict between Keychain and 1Password.)

• Can you confirm it is just this specific website you are having trouble with in Safari? Are there any others? (I posted earlier on 6/12/23 that, “… the 1Password icons also do not work when trying to log-in to the 1Password Support Communities website.” So yes, the problem does occur on other websites besides the Certified Federal Credit Union one.)

• I'm not sure if the issue you are referring to from the 'What's new' section is relevant to this one as this seems to be more website specific. You may no longer be able to see this update here because once you have read it it has now been dismissed. (In fact, the “What’s New” list does NOT disappear; it is always available. Only the line, "Fixed an issue that could cause nothing to happen when clicking an in-page password suggestion” disappeared, which is strange.)

• I’d like to provide some detail on the message you are seeing in Safari. When you clear Safari’s history, or other settings in the browser it may trigger the error message as you have seen. In Safari, the indexedDB data of 1Password for Safari, which contains all the settings and processes to establish 1Password’s functionality, also gets wiped out when Safari clears cache/history. This behaviour can also happen it you have “Block all cookies” enabled under Safari’s Settings > Privacy tab. (The reason I posted about the “The database was terminated” error message in Safari, was that it only recently started appearing, despite the fact that I have not changed any of my Safari settings. I often clear my Safari search history, and still the error message has not appeared until recently. I also do not have “Block all cookies” enabled in Safari, which you said could cause the problem. So why would clearing Safari search history suddenly start causing this error message, when it never did in the past? It creates a confusing and usually unnecessary pop-up for the user, and if you have to restart your browser and sign-in to your 1Password account again, that was never necessary in previous updates. Isn’t this something that should be addressed in a new update?)

Thanks again,

David

• whydavewhy
    whydavewhy
    Community Member
    Options

Additional problem: “The database was terminated” error message is now popping up intermittently today when I bookmark a webpage in Safari. It happened 3 times so far when I was saving bookmarks (not every time, though). However, I just tried saving a bunch of bookmarks, to reproduce the problem, and it won't happen now. This is really getting annoying.

• whydavewhy
    whydavewhy
    Community Member
    Options

OK, the 1Password “The database was terminated” error message just popped up, after I submitted a question to a company via their website; so this is a recurring, annoying problem, and it is not related to me clearing my Safari search history, because I have not done that today. So far, the pop-up intermittently appears when I close Safari, when I close a webpage, when I bookmark a website, and when I submit a question on a website.

• whydavewhy
    whydavewhy
    Community Member
    Options

UPDATE!

Hi again Steph,

FYI: A few days ago, I opened the Apple Disk Utility app, and ran ‘First Aid’ on my hard drive, then re-booted; so far, I have not seen the "The database was terminated" error pop-up when using Safari. Also, I have no problem logging-in to any of my websites anymore, including the ones which were originally giving me problems (Certified Federal Credit Union and Apple Support Communities). So it must have just been a glitch. Thanks again.

David

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @whydavewhy, that is so strange, but it is good to hear that things are working better now in Safari. Please keep an eye on things for the next week or two. If the database termination notification appears again, please let us know!

• whydavewhy
    whydavewhy
    Community Member
    Options

Will do. Thanks.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@whydavewhy Sounds good. We're always happy to help.

This discussion has been closed.