The Monthly Master Password Prompt

Options
ings
ings
Community Member
edited June 2023 in Windows

Hi,

I'm a big 1Password fan, I've been using it on multiple platforms for about 10 years. However I have one minor annoyance:

It's the monthly (30 days) request to re-enter the 1Password master password. Now once a month doesn't sound that unreasonable ... except I own an iPhone, an iPad, an iMac, a MacBook, and two virtual Windows desktops. So I get prompted six times to enter a very long and hard to type password. Ditto for my spouse, except she has fewer devices.

(Plus the **** prompt always seems to happen at the least convenient moment possible.)

I have no idea what could be done to mitigate this. However FYI it's annoying! :-)

Other than that, I remain a huge fan - keep up the great work!

Dave Ings

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

You can set the option "Require password" to "Never" in Settings.

• ings
    ings
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hi @XIII

Indeed you can. Somehow I never noticed that! Thanks.

Will have to think about that ... somehow "never" strikes me as too far (too lax) in the other direction ... but it might make sense for (say) my virtual desktops.

• ings
    ings
    Community Member
    Options

P.S. The "Never" option is not available on Windows 11 for some reason.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

a very long and hard to type password

Sorry if I am not understanding, but why not create what the password generator calls a "memorable password" that is easier to type?

David

• ings
    ings
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @DavidB

why not create what the password generator calls a "memorable password" that is easier to type?

I've already done that. But memorable passwords are typically around 24 characters long, and it gets a bit tedious to reenter such a password into six different devices once a month, especially on a mobile device keyboard.

• GreyM1P
    Options

Hi there @ings

I noticed you said:

The "Never" option is not available on Windows 11 for some reason

This would suggest that your computer doesn't have a TPM 2.0 chip, which would be required for 1Password to be able to use Windows Hello indefinitely. Because 1Password needs to store a secret securely to allow ongoing use of Windows Hello after a restart, it needs to use the TPM chip of your PC to do this.

Use Windows Hello to unlock 1Password on your Windows PC

memorable passwords are [...] a bit tedious to reenter [...] especially on a mobile device keyboard.

If you're using biometrics to unlock 1Password on your mobile device, you should be able to set "Require password" (Settings > Security) to Never. This will mean that you won't have to enter your account password unless biometrics didn't work for some reason.

I hope that helps, but I'll be here if you need anything. :)

— Grey

• ings
    ings
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @GreyM1P

Thanks for the feedback. The excellent 1Password support team is one of the reasons I recommend 1Password to my friends. Regarding ...

This would suggest that your computer doesn't have a TPM 2.0 chip, which would be required for 1Password to be able to use Windows Hello indefinitely.

.... FYI my two Windows 11 "computers" are in fact VMware images running on an Intel based MacBook. VMware implements a virtual TPM 2.0 chip (else Windows 11 would not have been installable). However it appears that 1Password can tell the difference between a virtual and physical TPM chip, and does not offer "Never" as an option on my virtual images.

Anyhow, this discussion has been very helpful to me ... thanks again for your input!

Dave Ings

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @ings, thanks for your response, and on behalf of my colleague Grey, you're very welcome! 😄

This discussion has been closed.