Each time I unlock 1Password it wakes and waits my external drive

Options

I am curious why each time I unlock 1Password it 'wakes-up' my external Time Machine drive.

I find that if I've not used 1Password for a while and it asks for the password (finger print in my case) it always wakes and waits for my external Time Machine drive before 1Password gives me the password for the website I am trying to login into.

If I do not use 1Password, but just type in the ID & password the external Time Machine drive stays blissfully asleep.

I see this behaviour in other apps, for example, a file open command in an app, but this feels expected.

What is 1Password doing that forces external disc access?

Thank you for your help.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.8 (81008024)
Extension Version: 2.11
OS Version: Ventura 13.4 (22F66)
Browser:_ Safari Version 16.5 (18615.2.9.11.4)
Referrer: forum-search:Each time I unlock 1Password it accesses external drive

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hello @iwaddo! 👋

I can't recall running into a similar issue before. How do you know that 1Password itself is waking up the external drive? Is it because the external drive always wakes up when you fill a password or do you see other indicators as well? Is it possible that you're running either 1Password or the 1Password extension from a folder on the external drive? Try the following:

1. Open the Terminal app on your Mac: Open or quit Terminal on Mac - Apple Support
    2. Type in the following: mdfind 1Password kind:Application
    3. Press Enter.

You should see the following:

/Applications/1Password.app
    /Applications/1Password for Safari.app

Let me know if you see a different file path for either application. In general, we recommend excluding the 1Password app from your Time Machine backup: Exclude files from a Time Machine backup on Mac - Apple Support (CA)

-Dave

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

Hi, this is what is happening;

• I will have been using my Mac, but not 1Password, therefore 1Password has locked and my external Time Machine drive has powered down.
    • I visit a site that needs me to login so I click the 1Password icon in the login ID box.
    • I use my finger on the reader to unlock 1Password
      * At this point I hear the Time Machine drive power-up

• Only when the drive has powered up does 1Password offer me the website name to select to fill-in the login ID box

The Time Machine drive is used exclusively as a Time Machine. I executed the Terminal command and saw the same two paths.

I am curious why I would exclude 1Password from the Time Machine backup as I do not exclude any other apps.

Thank you for your help.

• Dave_1P
    edited June 2023
    Options

@iwaddo

Thank you for the reply.

I am curious why I would exclude 1Password from the Time Machine backup as I do not exclude any other apps.

1Password for Mac has multiple components that communicate with each other and extra copies can cause confusion with that communication. There is no need to backup the 1Password app itself using Time Machine since you can always download a copy of the app from our website:Download the latest version of 1Password

Your 1Password data itself is stored in a separate location and will still be included in your Time Machine backup.

That being said, it's not clear that the Time Machine backup is the cause of the issue here. The next time that the issue occurs, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

[I have just typed the most comprehensive response, realised I was not logged in so chose Post As, logged in and my draft has gone :-)]

Take 2:

I do also suspect this is not a 1Password issue as I do see this behaviour with other apps but only usually when using a file open/save type command. This leave me wondering if 1Password is using a generic drive access type command.

I have excluded the 1Password and 1Password for Safari apps from Time Machine as you suggest.

If the issue happens again I will send the diagnostics report.

Thank you for your support.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@iwaddo

I'm sorry that your draft was lost before posting, I'll report this to the team to see if we can prevent this from happening in the future.

If the issue does occur again then please send in the diagnostics report and we can investigate further. 🙂

-Dave

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

[This post was also lost as I had not logged in before typing, however, I'm learning and took a copy first so I just pasted it back in :-) ]

@Dave_1P

I experienced the issue again a few minutes ago, BitBot provided the following reference [#WQT-67838-973]

Please let me know if I can help further

Thank you for your help.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@iwaddo

Thank you for posting the Support ID. The diagnostics report that you sent in has made it to the right team and one of my colleagues will send you a reply as soon as they've reviewed it. Thank you for your patience.

-Dave

ref: WQT-67838-973

This discussion has been closed.