Asked September 22 - How do I turn off "Suggested Password" in browser

Options
trixiesirisheyes
trixiesirisheyes
Community Member
edited January 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Unanswered. I'll try again. Is there a way to turn off Suggested Password? My workflow is a bit different, and sometimes I just make up my own password. The little pop-up is super distracting. Anyone?

1Password Version: 8.9.13
Extension Version: 2.5.1
OS Version: 13.1
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Hey @trixiesirisheyes,

I'm sorry that you had not previously received a reply!

In order to turn this off you would need to disable the inline menu suggestions altogether which would mean you won't see suggestions to fill your credentials either. I'd love to understand a little more about your workflow and why the suggested passwords don't work for you so we can see if this is something we can improve in the future?

In the meantime, you can quickly dismiss the pop up by hitting the ESC key on your keyboard or by clicking on the 1Password icon within the field.

I hope this helps!

• trixiesirisheyes
    trixiesirisheyes
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

I often make up my own password. No, not "password" or "12345." I'm a web designer! Or I'm copying and pasting a password from somewhere else. I don't need an offer to create a password at that point. LOL What would improve it is not having the field pop up in the first place. It's not helpful and is even annoying.

I don't need all the extra clicks while I use your app. I'd like to be able to disable the pop-ups I don't want. So many pop-ups. Often covering text I need to see. I also very much miss just having the password generator up where it used to be. The new + sign that opens an unbelievable list of options is also not helpful. Not a fan of 1PW8 at all. I loved it better before.

• trixiesirisheyes
    trixiesirisheyes
    Community Member
    Options

I often make up my own password. No, not "password" or "12345." I'm a web designer! LOL What would improve it is not having the field pop up in the first place. It's not helpful and even annoying. I don't need all the extra clicks while I use your app. I also very much miss just having the password generator up where it used to be. The new + sign that opens an unbelievable list of options is also not helpful. Not a fan of 1PW8 at all.

• trixiesirisheyes
    trixiesirisheyes
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for the duplicate comment. Can't figure out how to delete it.

• Hey @trixiesirisheyes,

I have passed your suggestion on to our product team for consideration. Ideally, we would want the password suggestion to be able to meet your requirements as opposed to being an inconvenience. You can amend the password suggestions from the password generator and set a default for suggestions. Here's how:

1. Click on the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and sign in.
    2. Click on the round menu next to the search bar
    3. Choose Password Generator.

At the bottom you will see a toggle which you can select to 'Use as default for suggestions'.

Thank you for your feedback.

ref: PB-30325682

• trixiesirisheyes
    trixiesirisheyes
    Community Member
    Options

There are still several issues. Here are two:

1) I still can’t sign in to 1PW on my iPhone 16.2.2 with TouchID enabled actually using TouchID. I have to enter my master password.

2) When I click in a login field on my iPhone, the 1PW app is not filling in the login.

• trixiesirisheyes
    trixiesirisheyes
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

Thank you for the info on the password generator!

Autofill doesn't work on iPad or iPhone. There is no "Password icon" above the keyboard. I also use Chrome on my devices.. As of October 2022, Chrome represented over 79% of the browsers in use. Safari represented 4.2%. I have Chrome syncing everything like bookmarks, etc. across my devices. And you want us to use Safari now to use your app on our mobile devices?

1PW8 on mobile devices is very buggy.

• Sara_B
    Sara_B
    Community Member
    Options

Did this ever get answered? I have the same issue.

• Hey @trixiesirisheyes

I'm sorry we seem to have missed this one, are you still having trouble using 1Password on your iPhone?

@Sara_B,

Can you let me know which issue you are referring to so I can best advise?

Thanks!

• johnnygoodface
    johnnygoodface
    Community Member
    Options

Indeed I've got the same question: keep the autofill enabled, but disabling it for "Use suggested Password". Can this be done now, I can't figure out how to.

To keep:

To disable:

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @johnnygoodface, thanks for reaching out. At this time, there's not a way to turn off the suggested password suggestions without completely turning off all suggestions from 1Password's inline menu altogether. Are you interested in doing that? If so, let us know and we can help with it.

In the meantime, you can ignore the suggestion, type out your own password, and then save it to 1Password. Here's a video of how that would appear: https://share.cleanshot.com/hzWGtz6R

Lastly, I want to note that we do have a feature request for the ability to disable suggested passwords while keeping login suggestions still active in the extension. I've added your post here to the request so that our developers know about your interest for it. Hopefully, the feature gets added in the future.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

PB: 30325682

• trixiesirisheyes
    trixiesirisheyes
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

This "feature" is just so very annoying. Not very UX friendly.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@trixiesirisheyes I can understand where you're coming from. Hopefully, our developers will make new password suggestions optional in the future. In the meantime, if any of those suggestions are appearing where they shouldn't, or if they are rejected by a website, please let us know. If you want to turn off all inline suggestions, please let us know as well. We'd be happy to assist.

• trixiesirisheyes
    trixiesirisheyes
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

Everywhere they show up is where they shouldn’t be.

I also don’t understand if I go to a site via the 1PW app - I already had to log in to get into the app, then in order to use the 1PW Password feature that slides up, I have to log in again!! What the heck!!

Ugh. Such a wonderful app/software can be so incredibly annoying and not thought through.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Everywhere they show up is where they shouldn’t be.

Can you point us to a specific form and field so we can take a closer look?

I also don’t understand if I go to a site via the 1PW app - I already had to log in to get into the app, then in order to use the 1PW Password feature that slides up, I have to log in again!! What the heck!!

Are you saying that you have to unlock the 1Password desktop app and 1Password extension in the browser separately? Does it seem like the two are not working together?

This discussion has been closed.