1Password 8 and the Safari extension are not unlocking at the same time

Options
MelanieIs
MelanieIs
Community Member
edited June 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I know there are a lot of posts for this one, but I’m having the worst day at work because I cannot get 1Password to work with Safari. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Even when the browser extension is installed and 1Password8 is running, the browser extension claims 1Password is locked. When I click it, it asks me if I want to open 1Password. But 1Password is open! And logged in! And telling the browser to open 1Password does nothing. Please help!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• MelanieIs
    MelanieIs
    Community Member
    Options

Please help. This is NOT WORKING and it is a disaster.
    Brand new Mac. 1Password 8 and 1Password for Safari are NOT working together.

• MelanieIs
    MelanieIs
    Community Member
    Options

I am also getting this annoying comment when, sometimes, I turn the browser extension off and want to turn it on again: “Safari detected an app or service that interfered with clicking.“

• MelanieIs
    MelanieIs
    Community Member
    Options

Basically I have to throw the new computer in the garbage, because this is a dumpster fire.
    “OPEN 1PASSWORD” button on the browser does nothing.

• @melaniels

The message you mentioned is a macOS/Safari issues. I would recommend checking for updates I have not seen this in some time.

 Apple Support - Keep your Mac up to date

 Apple Support - If you can’t turn on extensions in Safari - This should help with the exact message you mentioned.

• MelanieIs
    MelanieIs
    Community Member
    Options

THIS is the problem. See image.

• MelanieIs
    MelanieIs
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

I can’t even access this forum on my computer, since I have a complex password.
    Basically, I can’t use my computer.
    It’s so frustrating.

• MelanieIs
    MelanieIs
    Community Member
    Options

I have now been unable to access any accounts for an entire work day.
    I guess I can go back to dashlane??

• Dave_1P
    Options

@MelanieIs

I'm sorry that you're unable to unlock 1Password for Safari, the team and I are here to help until everything is working again. While we troubleshoot, as a temporarily workaround, you can copy and paste your passwords from the desktop app into Safari: Copy and fill passwords into apps that don't work with 1Password

It looks like communication between the 1Password extension in your browser and the 1Password for Mac app has broken down. To fix this please do the following:

1. Close all open web browsers.
    2. Right-click on the 1Password icon at the top of your Mac's screen and then click Quit. Wait until the icon disappears.
    3. Double-click on 1Password from your Mac's Application folder.
    4. Open your web browser.

Let me know if that doesn't fix the issue and I can help further.

-Dave

• MelanieIs
    MelanieIs
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. I have been trying this ^ all day.
    Does not work.
    Have also uninstalled both the extension and the app, reinstalled both. Have restarted computer. Nothing works.

I wonder if there is some conflict between accounts? I have a ‘home’ account but recently created a ‘work’ account, with a limited set of passwords in one shared vault. The MacOS app is logged into the ‘work’ account (which is good: this is what I want), but when I right click on the browser extension, I can enter settings (in Safari) which show that is signed into my ‘home’ account. There is an icon there that says ‘locked’, but when I click it and log in, there’s no way to remove that account or unlock that account in the browser. Maybe that’s the problem?

• MelanieIs
    MelanieIs
    Community Member
    Options

• MelanieIs
    MelanieIs
    Community Member
    Options

OMG it works. I cleared the cookies/browser history and restarted everything and upgraded my ‘work’ account from guest to family member, and whichever one of those worked, it works now.

HOURS and HOURS.
    Thanks.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @MelanieIs, thanks for the update. It's great to hear that things are now working. In the future, if the app and extension do not show that they are linked to the same accounts, you can turn off the browser integration and then add/remove the accounts as needed. Here's how to do that:

1. Right click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings.
    2. Under General, disable "Integrate with 1Password app".
    3. Under Accounts & Vaults, sign out of your account(s) as necessary.
    4. Sign back into your account(s) as necessary.

Please feel free to reach out if you need more help. Have a great day.

• MelanieIs
    MelanieIs
    Community Member
    Options

@Joy_1P
    That's awesome. That's it exactly. Saving for future emergencies.
    Much better solution than dowsing the computer in gasoline and lighting a match, as I wanted to do between 10am and 4pm.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2023
    Options

@MelanieIs I forgot to mention that once the accounts in the extension and app match, you can turn back on "Integrate with 1Password app". So the steps are actually:

1. Right click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings.
    2. Under General, disable "Integrate with 1Password app".
    3. Under Accounts & Vaults, sign out of your account(s) as necessary.
    4. Sign back into your account(s) as necessary.
    5. Go back to General, and re-enable "Integrate with 1Password app".

I do hope this helps!

• mfanous
    mfanous
    Community Member
    Options

I have similar frustrations as you mentioned, but I only have 1 Account. Before upgrading to v8, it was seamless. Now it seems, that each time I want to use 1Password, I need to close out Safari (save my tabs and pin them) just so I can use 1Password again. I enter the password multiple times in the browser, nothing happens. My only way to get it working so far....has been the following.

1. If I wait long enough (a good 3-4 minutes) it may pop-up (this doesn't always work)
    2. The other option is each time I want to use 1Password, I need to close out of Safari, close out 1Password, re-login to 1Password, then open Safari. But this is the most annoying and time-consuming thing. It also needs to be done in this order, I tried another order and nothing happened. This behavior didn't happen until v8.

For record, the Safari extension and the Mac app are all up to date as well.

• Hey @mfanous,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are having with 1Password in you browser.

I think it would be useful if we could take a closer look at some logs and what may be going wrong.

I'd like to ask you to send over a console log from your browser as well as a diagnostics report:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• mfanous
    mfanous
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

Just a heads up @steph.giles , I sent the email as requested. But there hasn't been automated reply yet.....

support+forum@1password.com

• @mfanous

I do not see it just yet. It may be within our sorting system. I'd give it some time and check in with us and we'll look once more. Please let us know if you receive the ID.

• mfanous
    mfanous
    Community Member
    Options

[#RSR-18272-761]

• Thanks @mfanous, let's continue troubleshooting over email.

ref: RSR-18272-761

This discussion has been closed.