Passkeys What are the plans for 1Password cloud login?

Options

I noticed you plan to login 1Password via passkeys soon. Good but then it makes sense to store the key in Apple keychain or other PW manager? Otherwise you have the key in the box? Or how will that work? How login to 1Password without 1Password?
Same I am thinking what Apple announced yesterday for iOS 17. does it makes sense to store the key for Apple within Apple? Aren’t there scenarios when you are locked out when you have no enrolled device left?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @telephoneman2, you're right that it would not make sense to store the passkey for your 1Password account in 1Password. When the feature is available, you would have to save the passkey for your 1Password account in another service like iCloud keychain.

We'll provide more info about this once the feature is available. In the meantime, I recommend signing up for our newsletter about all things related to passkeys: https://1password.com/passwordless-news/

Let us know if you have any other questions!

• telephoneman2
    telephoneman2
    Community Member
    Options

Maybe it makes sense to keep password and secret key as a backup method. Otherwise the emergency kit would be useless as well. For standard day by day login use passkey - but in case of any emergency always have the old method.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@telephoneman2 thanks for your input on this! We're still ironing out the details but we hope to have more info to share later this summer. Again, feel free to sign up to our newsletter at the link above for the latest news and updates related to 1Password and passkeys.

We'll be here if you need any more help!

This discussion has been closed.