MacOS/Brave: Beta browser extension does not connect to Desktop App (Beta or otherwise)

Options
seraphimalia
seraphimalia
Community Member

Hi Team,

My browser extension does not want to connect to the 1Password App, forcing me to unlock it manually with the password.
In the service worker console (DevTools) I see:

• INFO: Received <BrowserVerificationFailed> from the native core
  • WARN: Timeout waiting for response to <NmRequestAccounts> from native core <398979225>
    (I'm making sure to include these in the text for future forum searchers)

I have:

• Checked "Connect with 1Password in the browser" is enabled in the Desktop app settings
  • Checked "Integrate with 1Password app" is enabled in the browser extension settings
  • Checked the Login Items and Brave Policy settings described in this link

Is this a known bug? (I did not see this in the forum so pls forgive me if it is).
If not, pls let me know how I could fix it, and/or assist you in fixing it for the final release.

Come further context... The browser extension and desktop were happily talking to each other before I switched to the Beta. I switched to the Beta to play with the new passkeys feature.

P.S. I tried to attach the console log but this WYSIWYG isn't allowing a .log, .1pdiagnostics, or .zip file type.
Instead, here is an excerpt from the diagnostics report:

INFO  2023-06-20T08:51:32.075 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:native-messaging/op-browser-support/src/main.rs:165] Starting 1Password-BrowserSupport 8.10.8-24.BETA production build no. 81008024.
INFO  2023-06-20T08:51:32.084 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:native-messaging/op-browser-support/src/browser_verification/apple.rs:13] Verifying browser \"file:/Users/$USER/Applications/Brave%20Browser.app/Contents/MacOS/Brave%20Browser\"
ERROR 2023-06-20T08:51:32.085 main(ThreadId(1)) [swift] ProcessValidation.swift:92: codeSignature(for:) Failed to grab code signature for 6517 - status 100001
WARN  2023-06-20T08:51:32.085 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:native-messaging/op-browser-support/src/browser_verification/apple.rs:31] Browser verification error: BrowserVerificationFail
ERROR 2023-06-20T08:51:32.089 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:native-messaging/op-browser-support/src/main.rs:197] Browser support error: BrowserVerificationFail, happened in: native-messaging/op-browser-support/src/browser_verification/apple.rs:34
\tAdditional error context: Browser process validation failed

And here is a screengrab of the console after I locked the 1P browser extension and unlocked it again:

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.8 (81008024)
Extension Version: 1Password Beta – Password Manager 2.12.2
OS Version: 13.4 (22F66) on Apple M1 Pro
Browser:_ Brave: Version 1.52.122

Comments

• seraphimalia
    seraphimalia
    Community Member
    Options

I have compared my installation between my old and new laptops (as the 1P Beta extension works on my old laptop). The only difference is that Brave is installed in /Applications instead of $HOME/Applications. Moving Brave to /Applications restores the communication between the extension and the desktop app.

Is this something 1Password could add support for, i.e. placing Brave in $HOME/Applications? (Keeping my user applications separate from globally installed applications is important; MacOS still supports this in every way. It's not something I made up). If so, where is the best place I could submit a request?

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @seraphimalia, sorry about the delay in our response. I'm impressed with the troubleshooting you've done. You are correct that Brave has to be installed in /Applications for the extension and app to communicate. The 1Password app has to be installed in /Applications as well.

Due to the way the 1Password back-end secure communications work, if either the 1Password app or your web browser are installed outside of the /Applications directory, our communication protocols won't be able to properly verify the browser's code signature, and the app integration features of the 1Password app will not work. The main driving factor behind these communication protocols are from a security standpoint. They have been put in place to ensure your data is kept safe when it is being shared back-and-forth between the 1Password app and the browser extension.

I don't know if our developers will ever tweak how this works, but it doesn't hurt to create a feature request for it. I'll do that on your behalf. A reference number for the request can be found below.

PB: 33902325

I hope this message finds you well. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

This discussion has been closed.