Save Password (History) Issue

Options
bhusari
bhusari
Community Member

I recently updated from 1Password 7 to 1Password Subscription Plan. All the data moved successfully and I started using the new version. On the first site where my password expired and I had to change my password, I was able to save and update the previously saved password with a new one on 1password using the browser extension. For some reason, the new password wasn't accepted by the site, so I had to use a new combination fulfilling the criteria of password selection. I was able to successfully set a new password on this particular website after 2-3 attempts as there were no clear instructions about password combinations. What was shocking was the original password (at the migration from 1Password 7 to 1Password Membership Subscription) as well as the 2-3 passwords I had saved while doing this were not there in 1Password Subscription Plan. Since I still had the old vault on my desktop, I was able to get the old password from the past to reset the new password. Is this how it works on the membership plan? I am worried that if I update any existing one again, I will lose my original password. Can someone give me some insight or if there is some bug, the 1Password team needs to look into this.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• bhusari
    bhusari
    Community Member
    Options

Anyone with insight?

• bhusari
    bhusari
    Community Member
    Options

Is there a support member from the 1Password team who can look into this and get back to me?

• bhusari
    bhusari
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben, @1P_Gem I see the 1Password team answering threads selectively and not all the threads. I see active team members only posting responses to other threads while my thread remained unanswered for more than 24 hours. I am a paid subscriber and am promised 24/7 customer support, yet I have been very unhappy with response times on email as well as on this support community.

• 1P_Gem
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hi @bhusari, my apologies for the delay in response here! I usually work from the oldest to newest threads, unless a thread requires a little more time, such as issues that require reaching out to my team members for further input. If a post receives multiple updates, this will place it higher up in the list, and may result in it taking longer for a response.

Regarding your issue, if you're currently using the desktop app, the dropdown menu next to the item's password field includes an option to display the item's password history:

If you don't see this option, or if you don't use the desktop app, you can check the item's history on 1Password.com instead. I'll include the steps for this below:

1. Click the following link, and sign in to your account there: 1Password.com
    2. Click on All Vaults or the vault the item is in, and click on the item in the list.
    3. Look through Previously Used Passwords at the bottom of the item's details.
    4. If the passwords aren't located there, click View Item History and look through previous versions of the item.

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions, let us know!

• bhusari
    bhusari
    Community Member
    Options

Let me clarify again in case I wasn't clear earlier. I am using 1Password since 2014 so I know very well where history is available.

1. I moved to the 1Password subscription plan.
    2. Using the 1Password extension, I tried updating one of my saved site's passwords.
    3. The site did not accept my new password, so I had to try again.
    4. When I tried again, I also had to input my old password which to my surprise wasn't accepted. The reason was the 1Password immediately saved the new password that I entered. When I tried looking at history, I was shocked my last password was no longer there. I had old standalone vault so the previous password was still available to me which I used to try again.
    5. This process was repeated 2-3 times as this particular website wasn't accepting combination of letters that I was inputting. Every time a new password was saved within 1Password.
    6. The issue here is the missing password prior to my latest password as well as the 2-3 passwords that I tried in between and were saved in 1Password. They are missing on 1Password.com account (though was reflecting immediately), the standalone vault (no longer getting updated), and the 1Password account on the Windows app.
    7. My issue is if password history is not retained, that would be a shocker and problematic. How can password history go missing? Is there bugs in the system or something else, I am worried about using 1Password for any new updates.

Let me know as a matter of urgency.

• Hello @bhusari,

Thanks for your follow up message.

In this case you mentioned using 1Password in the browser, the extension. The password generator history can be found here: If you used the password generator and can't find the password to sign in

When updating a password in the apps, the history of the previous password will only appear once the item is saved with a new password: View and restore previous versions of items - In the 1Password apps

We're not aware of any issues with missing password history issues at this time. Could you confirm that you also updated this item with the newly generated password(s), but the password history was no longer retained? Further to Gem's message, could you also let us know about what you see in the item history on 1Password.com (or .ca/.eu): View and restore previous versions of items

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

• bhusari
    bhusari
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hello @ag_mike_d

The password wasn't generated by 1Password, but by me.

When updating a password in the apps, the history of the previous password will only appear once the item is saved with a new password: View and restore previous versions of items - In the 1Password apps

I understand and am aware of this. As I mentioned in my previous message 1Password saved a new password in my account. That's why when I tried inputting my old password, the same wasn't accepted by the website telling me the old password is wrong. Clearly, the new password was now being inserted there for resetting the password. I had to pick from my standalone vault to enter the old password. All 3 passwords saved during this short duration went missing though it was saved all the time by 1Password extension prompt. My original password is completely gone from history as if it never existed though I can still see it in my earlier standalone vault. Clearly, there is some issue (maybe when passwords are updated multiple times within a short span of time). It is important this be looked into urgently.

I am also starting to see 1Password taking long time to load vault and many times getting this error

"Failed to load vault(s).

ClientError: Failed to read response as "json" (900)"

I am on a good bandwidth, so unsure why it keeps failing. I am using Chrome 114 on Windows 10. Kindly look into this as well.

• Hello again @bhusari,

Thanks for the update and letting know the original password is completely gone from that items history. I'm sorry for the continued troubles - we're happy to investigate further.

Would you please send an email to the team at support+forum@1password.com describing the issues you've been with the password history of that item, the loading issues with your vault and a diagnostics report from your Windows PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

With your email, also include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/140904/save-password-history-issue
    • Your forum username: bhusari

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here.  Thank you!

• bhusari
    bhusari
    Community Member
    Options

Sure, sent the email. The support id is [#ZBW-64596-817]

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @bhusari, thanks for letting us know! I can see that we've received your email, and a member of the team will be in touch with you there as soon as possible 😄

ref: ZBW-64596-817

This discussion has been closed.