Is there anyway to import/export passkeys from/to 1Password and Apple Keychain?

Options
LourencoRsilva
LourencoRsilva
Community Member

I've been adding Passkeys to my 1Password account.
I'de like to have them stored in my Apple Keychain as well. Is there anyway to import/export them between services?

If not, how do I choose where to save my Passkey when creating it? Right now, every time I create one the only option available is to store it on 1Password

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.8 (81008024)
Extension Version: 2.12.2
OS Version: macOS 13.4
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:passkey

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @LourencoRsilva!

I'de like to have them stored in my Apple Keychain as well. Is there anyway to import/export them between services?

There's not a way to import/export passkeys at the moment. However, I do think it's a great idea and have created a feature request on your behalf for it. Hopefully it is something that is added in the future.

If not, how do I choose where to save my Passkey when creating it? Right now, every time I create one the only option available is to store it on 1Password

Hmm if you close out the prompt from 1Password when saving a passkey, you should then get a prompt to save the passkey to other services. Could you try that out and let us know how it goes?

PB: 33760346

• LourencoRsilva
    LourencoRsilva
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

and have created a feature request on your behalf for it. Hopefully it is something that is added in the future.

Great!

Hmm if you close out the prompt from 1Password when saving a passkey, you should then get a prompt to save the passkey to other services. Could you try that out and let us know how it goes?`

This is with the Safari extension working. Don't see an option to choose between 1Password or Apple Keychain.

And this is with the 1Password Safari extension turned off

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@LourencoRsilva iCloud keychain and 1Password don't quite work well together, as they are separate password managers, so there's not a great UI to select between the two as you try to save a passkey. Instead, if you get a prompt from 1Password but would like to save your passkey in iCloud keychain, you can try dismissing the 1Password prompt so that the iCloud keychain prompt can appear.

Here's how to dismiss the prompt from 1Password: https://share.cleanshot.com/KsGV02lk

Could you try that and let us know if it works?

• LourencoRsilva
    LourencoRsilva
    Community Member
    Options

I guess you're right. They don't play well with each other :p

If I click the Quit "cross" on 1password extension, Safari doesn't prompt for the Apple Keychain.
    If I then disable the 1Password extension, hitting the "Create Passkey" button does nothing. I have to quit Safari completely and open it again and only then does Safari prompt me to save on Apple Keychain.

(After doing this) Enabling the 1password extension does work immediately and 1password asks me to save it there. (But hitting the Quit button does not prompt for the Apple Keychain again).

This extra information is just so you know all the combinations I tried :)

This discussion has been closed.