new Browser + App unlock = big fail

Options
mtissington
mtissington
Community Member
edited June 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I am using latest public realease of the Firefox browser extension and 1Password app for mac.
The recent update(s) has created an unlock nightmare.

I'm in the browser and need to fill login & password. I press Ctrl + \ to fill and am prompted to unlock the app?
It unlocks, but the browser is still locked. In order to unlock the browser I now need to launch the app, unlock it and leave it open then I can go back to the browser and with a little luck I can press Ctrl + \ again and the details are filed.

Please fix this mess so pressing ctrl + \ always unlocks and works reliably

1Password Version: 8.10.7
Extension Version: 2.11
OS Version: 13.4
Browser:_ Firefox

Comments

• Hey @mtissington,

I'm sorry for the trouble.

Can you check the following setting for me:

1. Open and unlock your 1Password desktop app
    2. Click on your account in the top left hand corner and choose Settings
    3. Under General make sure ‘Keep 1Password in the menu bar’ is ticked.

Can you also check if the 1Password desktop app is allowed to run in the background?

1. Click the 1Password icon in the menu bar and select “Quit”.
    2. Right-click your browser in your dock and select “Quit”.
    3. Click the Apple icon at the top left of your screen and select “System Settings”.
    4. Click “General” > “Login items”.
    5. Ensure 1Password is enabled under ‘Allow in background’.

Let me know how you get on and if this improves things at all.

• mtissington
    mtissington
    Community Member
    Options

It seems to work when I 'Keep 1Passsword in the menubar' ticked.

Why is this a requirement now?
    I'd really like to keep my menubar free of excess stuff!

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @mtissington, the filling shortcut "Ctrl + \" comes from the 1Password app and not the extension. If you invoke that shortcut, and the app is locked, then you would be prompted to unlock the app in order to fill with it.

1Password 8 and the new extension were built as standalone tools. That means they can operate independently. To connect the two, we added a browser integration feature. 'Keep 1Password in the menubar' is part of that browser integration feature. 'Keep 1Password in the menubar' allows the app to be unlocked and running in the background if you close the app window. If 'Keep 1Password in the menubar' is unticked, then closing the app window would lock it back up. Essentially, closing the app window would mean that you are quitting the app.

Because the app and extension are linked, then closing the app window would also lock up the extension. So it's best to leave 'Keep 1Password in the menubar' ticked. This ensures that you just have to unlock the app/extension once in order to have access to both tools.

I hope that explains what's going on. If you have any further questions about it, please let us know.

• mtissington
    mtissington
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I am ware they are linked - however this is a NEW issue with the functionality - it used to work with the previous release.
    Also. I'm not sure you have understood.
    I press Ctrl+\ and unlock the app - no password is entered, I press ctrl + \ again, and again I'm prompted to unlock.
    When this happens, I have to open the app, press ctrl + \ and then it works.

Have you changed the default behavior to now close the app instead of minimize it to the dock?

Again this is a new issue - it used to work great.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mtissington thanks for your response!

Yes, I am ware they are linked - however this is a NEW issue with the functionality - it used to work with the previous release.
    Have you changed the default behavior to now close the app instead of minimize it to the dock?

Could you clarify if you're referring to 1Password 7 or an older version of the 1Password 8 app? Once you confirm that, I can provide more details.

Also. I'm not sure you have understood.
    I press Ctrl+\ and unlock the app - no password is entered, I press ctrl + \ again, and again I'm prompted to unlock.
    When this happens, I have to open the app, press ctrl + \ and then it works.

Sorry for any confusion or misunderstanding. I was going off of what you wrote in your first message, quoted below:

I'm in the browser and need to fill login & password. I press Ctrl + \ to fill and am prompted to unlock the app?
    It unlocks, but the browser is still locked. In order to unlock the browser I now need to launch the app, unlock it and leave it open then I can go back to the browser and with a little luck I can press Ctrl + \ again and the details are filed.

If you unlock the app and then press X close the window (in order to focus on the browser), that would quit the app, lock it up again, and lock up the extension again. You would have to unlock the app/extension once more to use them. That is the behavior with 'Keep 1Passsword in the menubar' off.

However, if that is not what is happening, then I'd like for you to take a screen recording of what you're seeing and share that with us. Please attach the recording to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• mtissington
    mtissington
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the detailed reply - I'm talking about the previous public release of 1Password 8.

If I do NOT have 1Passworsd app in the menu bar then the issues with locking/unlocking happen.

I will try to create a screen capture.

• mtissington
    mtissington
    Community Member
    Options

email with video sent.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mtissington thanks for taking the time to create a screen recording. Could you let us know your Support ID once you have it? We'll be able to locate your ticket with the Support ID, and we'll do our best to send a prompt reply from there.

• mtissington
    mtissington
    Community Member
    Options

[#IEB-41871-256]

• Thank you for sharing this @mtissington, let's continue the discussion over email.

ref: IEB-41871-256

This discussion has been closed.