Can't Login via 1Password 8 on iPhone after 1Password Maintenance on 2023-04-27

Options
YellowVista
YellowVista
Community Member

I'm currently unable to login to my 1Password account using 1Password 8.10.4 on my iPhone (running iOS 16.4.1). It was working fine yesterday until the 1Password maintenance. I tried using it during the maintenance period and got an "offline" message. Today, I kept getting the 2FA prompt, but every time I selected Security Key, the prompt immediately closed and displayed the message "Offline. Changes won't appear on your other devices until you finish signing in." instead of displaying the prompt for me to use my Security Key. (That kept happening over and over, despite holding my Security Key to my phone.)

So, I tried logging out and back in and was getting an error (before getting to the 2FA prompt) that said "We weren't able to sign in to your account. Maybe there's a typo? Check your sign-in details and try again." I then discovered that somehow 1Password 8 had reverted to trying to use an older version of my Secret Key. (1Password 8 on my old iPhone also appears to have reverted to my old Secret Key.) I updated that, but now when I am prompted for 2FA and select my Security Key, it immediately displays an error message.

I have verified the Security Key works on my iPhone for other stuff and that the Security Key is still associated with my 1Password Family account at issue. I also am able to login to my 1Password account using 1Password 8.10.4 on my old iPhone (running iOS 15.7.5), and when it prompts for 2FA and I select "Security Key", it display the prompt to hold my Security Key up to my phone, and then proceeds with logging in.

I can also login on my primary iPhone using 1Password 7, but I can't login using 1Password 8. I tried deleting 1Password 8 and re-installing it, but I'm still having the same problem. Clearly, the maintenance messed something up, but I can't figure out why it only affects 1Password 8 on one of my devices--unfortunately, on one of my most important devices!

My 1Password account works fine and I can login via 1Password for Windows (8.10.5) and 1Password.com.

Please help!

1Password Version: 8.10.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 16.4.1
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi there @YellowVista

This doesn't sound right, so I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iPhone where you're having trouble:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

⚠️ Don't post your diagnostics report here.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/139816/cant-login-via-1password-8-on-iphone-after-1password-maintenance-on-2023-04-27
    • Your forum username: YellowVista

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here.  Thanks very much!

— Grey

• YellowVista
    YellowVista
    Community Member
    Options

Upon further testing, I have discovered that when both 1Password 8 and 1Password 7 are installed on the same iPhone, I am only able to login to my accounts using one of the apps.

Previously, I was able to login to 1Password 7 but not 1Password 8. (I had both working fine, but then I tried to access 1Password 8 during the recent 1Password database maintenance, and got logged out of 1Password 8.) I tried deleting 1Password 8 and re-installing it, but it still didn't work. After entering the e-mail address, Secret Key, and Account Password, I was prompted to select either Security Key or Authentication Code for MFA. If I selected Security Key, the prompt immediately disappeared without triggering iOS to display the Security Key prompt.

I then tried deleting both 1P 8 and 1P 7 from my iPhone. I then installed 1Password 8 first and was able to login to both my Business and Family accounts without any problems using my hardware Security Key for MFA. However, when I then tried to login to 1Password 7 on the same iPhone, after entering the e-mail address, Secret Key, and Account Password, I am prompted to select either Security Key or Authentication Code for MFA. When I select Security Key, 1Password then displays a text field for me to input the six digit Authentication Code.

So it appears there is some bug where if 1Password 7 and 1Password 8 are both installed on the same device, hardware Security Keys will only work with the first app where the user logs in to 1Password, and the other app will then fail and fall back to MFA via Authentication Code.

• ag_tommy
    Options

@YellowVista

Thanks for that detailed response. Would you be up for emailing us and allow the team to work on gathering logs and so forth? We'd like to fully understand what it is you're seeing. We are unable to access reports here in the community. Please email us using support+forum@1password.com. Be sure to use the email address tied to the account in question.

• aslagell
    aslagell
    Community Member
    Options

I don't think this is about having both installed. I have found that you cannot login and sync with a yubikey on the iPhone within the 1password8 app. I had to turn a TOTP MFA option back on to get it to sync on my iOS devices. I use the lightening yubikey for many things on my iPhone fine and can even use it to login to 1password.com in safari, just not in the 1password8 app.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@aslagell

I'm sorry that you weren't able to add your account to the 1Password for iOS app using your security key. This is a known issue that our developers are working on and hope to fix in a future update as soon as possible.

For now the workaround, as you mentioned, is to add a TOTP authenticator app to your 1Password account and use that to add the account to 1Password for iOS.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#20680

This discussion has been closed.