Feature Request: Dictionary Word Exclusions

Options
TechSolvers
TechSolvers
Community Member
edited June 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

We use 5-6 word passphrases for most of our purposes, however, the more words there are, the higher the likelihood that one of the words is undesirable. This is fine if the password is for internal/personal use, but we sometimes setup passwords that need to be shared with a customer. As an example, heres some words 1Passwords password generator has suggested that I would prefer not to use in a password that I need to pass on to a customer:

Diarrhea
Toenail
Scab
Underarm
Bunghole
Spanking
Tampon

Our process at the moment is to regenerate the passwords... however occasionally we don't read the password and then have a slightly uncomfortable moment with an end user when we tell them their weird password.

I would like the ability to omit undesirable words from the Password Generator - perhaps an option to use "All words" or "Neutral words". Or a custom exclusion list set at an org wide level.

FWIW I just tried toggling "Full Words" to see whether that would help... the very first generated password included a highly objectionable slur (maybe this feature needs a sanitiser?)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• steph.giles
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hey @TechSolvers,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback, I understand where you are coming from in that some of these words suggested are undesirable.

I have passed the feedback on to the team along with the list of words you have provided above. When you say:

the very first generated password included a highly objectionable slur

Was this included in your list above? If not please feel free to email it in to support+forum@1password.com so we can look to get this removed.

Thank you!

ref: dev/core/core#22639

• TechSolvers
    TechSolvers
    Community Member
    Options

It wasn't in the list, no... I'll send it through thx Steph

This discussion has been closed.