Updated password saved through browser extensions does not update browser history?

Options

It looks like when I change a password throught the browser and the extension offers to update the 1Password entry, the history of said password is incorrect. After some testing, it looks like the password is first updated and only then a history entry is created. The result is that the history item and the current password are the seem when opening the item in the windows app.

Could you please check and fix? This has cost my to loose 2 passwords already...

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Pumbania
    Pumbania
    Community Member
    Options

• Pumbania
    Pumbania
    Community Member
    Options

• Pumbania
    Pumbania
    Community Member
    Options

As can been seen in the pictures above, 'TheOriginalPassword' is GONE from the history!

• Pumbania
    Pumbania
    Community Member
    Options

Some more testing, it does not matter if this is the first update of the password or not. None of the password updates through the extension are properly logged in the password history.

App: 1Password for Windows 8.10.5 (81005021)
    Extension: 1Password in the browser 2.10.0 20246, on STABLE channel
    Browser: Chrome Version 112.0.5615.138 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Could someone please confirm this is a BUG and will be fixed? (Rather sooner then later...)

• Hey @Pumbania,

I'm sorry for the trouble, you are totally right, There appears to be a bug whereby If the item you are changing already has a password history it will be updated properly but if it doesn't the original password does not appear in the password history as you have described.

We have filed an issue with our development team to take a look into. Just as a little bit of reassurance in the meantime, the original data should still be accessible in the item history which you can find here: View and restore previous versions of items.

Sorry for any disruption caused!

ref: dev/core/core#21484

• Pumbania
    Pumbania
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

any update on this?
    It looks like the 'previous item' trick doesnt work. This item does have a password history, but no item history. So if I only change password, there will not be a previous item?

• ChrisC1P
    Options

Hi @Pumbania thanks for getting back to me!

While I can't provide a specific timeline for a fix for this issue, our developers have been working to get this resolved as soon as possible, and you can keep an eye on our release notes page for news: 1Password Releases

Is it possible that you created this item in another vault and then moved it to the current vault it is in? The item history is not kept in that case. If you can find the original item in the original vault recently deleted section on 1Password.com you can restore it. Let me know how it goes!

• Pumbania
    Pumbania
    Community Member
    Options

Although pretty sure this was just one example of many, I can’t guarantee that this item indeed did move vaults. I’ll do some more testing specifically to see if it works when staying within the vault.
    Is password history also affected by moving vaults? (I hope not…)

• Pumbania
    Pumbania
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ChrisC1P,

took a while, but I was able to test this and indeed an item history entry is created with the correct values in case this happens. And that history is indeed lost when the item is moved to a different vault. Is there any specific reason why the item history is not stored 'per item' iso 'per vault'?

Mind you, fixing the 'password history' is a ziljion times more important then this item history...

• Pumbania
    Pumbania
    Community Member
    Options

Hi guys & girls, just posting back here to confirm that this bug is now fixed. Although I did not see this bug mentioned in the release notes, I assume its fixed as part of #21506.

Thank you!

• Thanks for closing the loop @Pumbania.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

This discussion has been closed.