Unable to add passkey to Oracle Cloud Infrastructure

Options
XIII
XIII
Community Member

In the past I have successfully set up a passkey via iCloud Keychain for Oracle Cloud Infrastructure, but now I can't add a passkey in 1Password.

Issues:

• Nothing happens after clicking on "Add FIDO Authenticator" in Safari (macOS) or Firefox (macOS & Windows) - probably an Oracle issue?
  • Standard Windows dialog (instead of 1Password intercepting) appears when clicking that button in Edge (Windows) - probably a 1Password issue?

How can I add a passkey in 1Password as well for OCI?

1Password Version: 8.10.7
Extension Version: 2.12.0
OS Version: macOS Ventura & Windows 10
Browser:_ Safari, Firefox & Edge

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @XIII, sorry for the delay in our response. The behaviors that you're seeing are strange. Just to confirm, the issues occur on https://www.oracle.com/cloud/, is that right?

Nothing happens after clicking on "Add FIDO Authenticator" in Safari (macOS) or Firefox (macOS & Windows) - probably an Oracle issue?

It could be an Oracle issue or a browser-specific issue. However, while Firefox doesn't provide the best support for passkeys yet, I haven't heard or seen the same reports in regards to Safari. Are you able to save and sign in with passkeys on other websites in Safari?

Standard Windows dialog (instead of 1Password intercepting) appears when clicking that button in Edge (Windows) - probably a 1Password issue?

Could you take a screenshot of what you're seeing here and share it with us? Make sure to not include any sensitive information in your screenshot. For help with taking screenshots, check out this link: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/

Don't forget to attach the screenshot to your message. Talk to you again soon.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

I'm sorry but I can't create a screenshot; currently nothing happens when I select "Add FIDO Authenticator" (in any browser).

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Did get the default passkey dialog in Safari (macOS) today (so 1Password did not intervene). Since I already successfully set up an iCloud Keychain passkey before and want to add a passkey in 1Password instead, I chose the security key option (hoping that 1Password would now intervene), but once again 1Password did not kick in 😢

Default passkey dialog
    Security key dialog

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@XIII hmm what happens if you click to Cancel that iCloud keychain prompt? Do you get an option to re-select "Add FIDO Authenticator"? If you do that, do you get a prompt from 1Password?

Additionally, are you able to save passkeys to 1Password for other websites in Safari? Could you try it on our test form at https://passage.1password.com/demo and let us know if things work?

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Whatever I try, 1Password does not kick in on this particular website.

So far I have successfully set up almost 30 passkeys in 1Password; most of them using Safari on macOS.

I would appreciate it if you ask the developers to have a look at this (website), instead of asking me to investigate this.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@XIII thanks for the info. We are seeing a variety of behaviors with saving and signing in with passkeys, and we have to check that the issue is coming from the 1Password side of things, which is why I asked a few additional questions.

There's also the challenge of us not being able to access Oracle Cloud Infrastructure to test the behavior. If this was a regular filling issue, we would ask for the page details, and that will allow our developers to hone in on what's wrong, but for passkeys, the page details may not suffice.

I've reached out to our developers to see what particular details they'll need to investigate this problem. I'll update you as soon as I can so that we can get this reported.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

There's also the challenge of us not being able to access Oracle Cloud Infrastructure to test the behavior.

You(r developers) can sign up for the Oracle Cloud Free Tier:

https://www.oracle.com/cloud/free/

(that's actually what I am using)

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hey @XIII, thanks for letting me know about that. I signed up but it took some time for my account to be set up. I've been able to reproduce the behavior that you've described here.

That said, it does not seem as though Oracle is ready for passkeys just yet. If you click to learn more about the FIDO authenticator that they support, there is only mention of a USB security key and nothing else. Here's a screenshot: https://share.cleanshot.com/01RSGZpw

I'll create an issue on our end for the website. However, if Oracle does not yet support passkeys, there may not be much we can do. I'm honestly not too sure, but it's not a problem to let our developers take a look. If there's an update to the issue on our end, I'll let you know.

ref: dev/core/core#22591

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

As I reported before, Oracle does support passkeys (as 2FA; not replacing username/password):

I already successfully set up an iCloud Keychain passkey

But I'm happy to report that adding a passkey using 1Password (instead of iCloud Keychain) does work now!

Logging in is now even more fluent 😄

This discussion has been closed.