Passkeys with Chrome

Options
Tertius3
Tertius3
Community Member

I just got the email notification that we can test passkeys with the newest beta browser plugin. I couldn't resist and test this immediately.

I created an additional passkeys for my Google account to be stored in 1Password. Saving this to 1Password worked, and logging in with this also seemed to work. It's not easy to detect if I used the built in passkeys support or the 1Password passkeys support, but I'm reasonably sure I actually logged in with 1Password's passkey.

The same with my private Microsoft account: Created an additional passkey for it and saving it in 1Password. Logging in with it also worked fine.

Then I went to my Android smartphone and tried logging in to the Microsoft account in chrome - anything except push notification and password isn't offered, so I assume passkeys is only supported for the desktop currently.

Then I went to a Windows 11 desktop (it's a vm, accessed it with rdp, so without Windows Hello!) where I never used passkeys before. I tried logging in to the Microsoft account with Chrome. Lo and behold, it pulled the cloud-synced passkey from 1Password! This worked!

Then I tried to login to my Google account on that machine. This wasn't successful. Google asked for my password and didn't offer any other option except sending the usual push notification to the smartphone.
After I successfully logged in with that, Google offered activating passkeys. I started the workflow, however it wanted to create a new Passkey and the 1Password browser plugin offered saving this to 1Password. Since I already had a passkey for this account in 1Password, I stopped and didn't save another one - I guess it's supposed to have only 1 passkey for the same service in 1Password (in this case: my Google account).

So this was half successful: unable to pull an existing passkeys from 1Password for use with Google, but successful in recognizing the passkeys generating and storing workflow. Might have to do with the rdp connection and missing Windows Hello. Unfortunately, I don't currently have a second physical desktop machine to test a cloud-synced passkey on a local machine without rdp.

1Password Version: 8.10.7
Extension Version: 2.12.4
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• oxalate
    oxalate
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issues using 1Password-saved passkeys to get into Google accounts. This happens on both a Windows 10 machine with Windows Hello! enabled and on a MacBook Pro with Touch ID.

1Password saves a passkey when I set one up in the Google account, but if I log out and try to log back in with a passkey, Google only offers me the opportunity to log in with my Android phone's auto-generated passkey, and not with the 1Password-saved passkey. If I pick "use another device", Windows Hello! prompts me to insert a physical security key (which I don't have) instead of using my actual Hello! authentication method.

I could sign in to my Google accounts using machine-specific passkeys created prior to the release of the 1Password beta, so the issue isn't entirely on Google's side. It seems as though the beta isn't correctly presenting my newly-saved 1Password passkey in a form that Google recognizes as a login option.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

I got my google account set up with a Passkey, but it still has the password. Am I going to be able to remove the password?

• faquick
    faquick
    Community Member
    Options

I tried the same with a Google account. I am currently testing with one instance of Google Chrome on a Mac, on an Incognito session. I successfully added a Passkey and have been able to use it to log in again after logging out.

But if I close Chrome and reopen a new Incognito session, Google only prompts me to use the password and not the passkey anymore. Does anyone know why Google might be having this peculiar behaviour?

• lostbygps
    lostbygps
    Community Member
    Options

I have the identical problem as @oxalate. Went through the same process twice to be sure and got two 1password passkeys showing in the account, although only one seems to be stored in 1password, but never had the 1password passkey sign-in prompt. Tried installing windows 11 1password beta program in case it was related to having beta and non-beta code on the same machine.

1Password Version: 8.10.7 81007036 on BETA channel
    Extension Version: 2.12.0 2120003 on BETA channel
    OS Version: Windows 11 Pro Build 22621
    Browser:_ Chrome 114.0.5735.110

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

Creating a passkey for adobe.com worked. However, many redundant/duplicate URLs were added as website url during the process.

By the way, @1password: if you're in the Fido alliance and have a say around passkeys, it might be a good idea to encourage passkey providers to use a unified terminology for passkeys.

In English, it's mostly "Passkey" or "Passkeys", but also "passwordless". Or still "Security Token". In other languages, it's a mess. Almost not possible to determine that passkeys are meant. Everyone makes his own different translation. Adobe calls it in German "Hauptschlüssel" (if translated back to English, would be "Master Key" or "Skeleton Key").

Passkeys is a new technical term and name not to be translated. Please establish it as such.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

By the way, @1password: if you're in the Fido alliance and have a say around passkeys, it might be a good idea to encourage passkey providers to use a unified terminology for passkeys.

I agree 100%

• QuietKnight
    QuietKnight
    Community Member
    Options

I've been able to create a passkey (Google account) but so far I've been unable to actually use a passkey to log in. On multiple sites, Chrome will pop up a window saying "Use your passkey" and "Choose which device has the passkey for [site]" and it lists:

• Windows Hello or external security key
    • Pixel 7
    • Use a different phone or tablet

It appears that since I have other passkey devices available Chrome is not allowing 1Password to handle it?

Windows 10, 10.0.19043 Build 19043
    Chrome: Version 114.0.5735.110 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    1Password in the browser 2.12.0, 21200003, on BETA channel

• benmattison
    benmattison
    Community Member
    Options

I am also confused about the passkey functionality. I have installed the beta extension in Firefox and Chrome on a couple of computers, and I'm able to save a passkey and then use it to log in in the same browser on the same computer. When I look in the other browsers, I can see that the passkey is being synced through 1Password. But if I try to log in, it asks for passwords. What am I missing?

• benmattison
    benmattison
    Community Member
    Options

@OlivierP Thanks! Yes, I had just installed the beta last night/today and it is 2.12.0.

I've tested with Google and Home Depot, by the way. In all cases, 1Password shows a little passkey icon for the account but the web site is going through its normal login process. Then once I'm logged in, it sometimes asks me if I want to create a passkey. But it doesn't see the one I already have.

• faquick
    faquick
    Community Member
    Options

It looks like Google does not "see" the browser/computer as an eligible device for passkey login, unless it already has been used in that same session. I have been prompted to ADD (again) passkey support in some sporadic cases, also.

I also tried with PayPal but I never got prompted to activate a Passkey, nor I found anything about that in my account settings.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

I thought passkey was going to replace passwords, why do I have both for Google?

• Katya
    Katya
    Community Member
    Options

I also couldn't get Chrome to give me the option to log in with a Passkey if I hadn't created the passkey in that particular instance of Chrome. The fix I found (through another post here) is to copy/paste "chrome://flags/#enable-debug-for-secure-payment-confirmation" into the address bar of Chrome, and then disable the feature that comes up.

• loggor
    loggor
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

I tried adding a passkey at Zoho, but the screen there freezes and nothing happens. On Adobe worked fine, also tried to log in with incognito and it worked. Will try with mobile later.

PS: I'm using Brave

• Ryakkan
    Ryakkan
    Community Member
    Options

Is it safe to edit and remove the multiple URLs that it added when adding a Passkey into an existing Saved Login?

• loggor
    loggor
    Community Member
    Options

Just wanted to share this. You can configure passkeys for MFA on NordVPN. Could someone from the 1Password team add it to the passkey directory? @Dave_1P

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

Fastmail let’s you use passkey as 2FA

This discussion has been closed.