Bug: Unable to add an account to 1Password on iOS when using a Security Key for 2FA

Options
geekymatrix
geekymatrix
Community Member
edited June 2023 in iOS

When 2FA is enabled with a security key, all login attempts using 1Password 8 on iOS result in “perhaps there’s a typo” error. Tested on iPhone 12 Pro Max with iOS version 16.5 on 1Password v8.10.7. Logins on all other platforms including the Windows app, Firefox extension, and Safari browser work just fine.

A work-around for this issue is to disable 2FA for 1Password. Logins will succeed with no security key required. However after re-enabling 2FA, 1Password 8 shows as being offline. Tapping Sign In from the pop up warning or the red cloud icon does nothing.

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @geekymatrix! 👋

I'm sorry that you ran into trouble when authenticating your account in 1Password for iOS. Our developers are aware of, and are investigating, an issue where a security key will sometimes fail to work on iOS. So that I can pass some more details to our developers can you tell me the following:

1. When the security key failed to work did you also have a TOTP authenticator app registered for your 1Password account? Or were you only using a security key?
    2. Are you willing to share the model name of your security key?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#20680

• geekymatrix
    geekymatrix
    Community Member
    Options
    1. No TOTP app, only the security key.
    2. I use both YubiKey 5 NFC and YubiKey 5 Ci.
  • Dave_1P
    Options

@geekymatrix

Thank you for the reply. That matches the issue that our developers are investigating: when using just a security key for two-factor authentication, and without having a TOTP authenticator also setup, authentication can sometimes fail in the 1Password for iOS app.

I've passed along your report to our developers, hopefully this can get fixed soon in a future update.

-Dave

• jlakko
    jlakko
    Community Member
    Options

A couple of users in my org are facing this same issue. Is there a place to view feature update status?

• Dave_1P
    Options

@jlakko

I'm sorry that you and your coworkers are affected by the issue. Are you able to tell me how many people at your organization have run into the problem so that I can note that in the internal work item for the issue?

When a fix is released you'll be able to see it mentioned on our release notes: 1Password Releases

In the meantime, you can use an authenticator app to add a temporary one-time password (TOTP) as a second factor authentication method to use with 1Password for iOS. Our guide will show you how: Turn on two-factor authentication for your 1Password account

-Dave

• rsherwood
    rsherwood
    Community Member
    Options

@geekymatrix Thanks for posting this thread. I hit the same issue today when resetting my phone. I was tearing my hair out!

• Dave_1P
    Options

I'm happy that geekymatrix's post helped. 🙂

-Dave

• itsbrenoakes
    itsbrenoakes
    Community Member
    Options

I can’t log into the app I have tried everything. I know it’s the right password as I can log in online but not in the app.

• itsbrenoakes
    itsbrenoakes
    Community Member
    Options

I have the added my Yubikey to my account and I am getting the message of my password not working when I know it is correct on the app. when i take the Yubikey off of my account I can log in to the app. Anyway I can fix this.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser:_ Not Provided

• itsbrenoakes
    itsbrenoakes
    Community Member
    Options

found out it was because I have my Yubikey attached to the account

• GreyM1P
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hi there @itsbrenoakes

At the moment, our Development team are looking into why customer who have two-factor authentication turned on for their 1Password account (but only using a hardware security key) are having trouble signing in to 1Password for iOS. Sorry about the inconvenience there.

What we have found is that adding an authenticator app to your 1Password two-factor authentication options will mean you can use a one-time password to sign in to 1Password for iOS successfully without having to turn off two-factor authentication completely. The problem only appears when a hardware security key is the only two-factor authentication method.

We're tracking this issue internally, and I've added this thread to our investigation. Let me know if you have any questions or need any help. :)

— Grey

• BrainD
    BrainD
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

Have 2FA with Yubikey 5ci
    iOS app was having trouble editing passwords.
    So I reinstalled the app
    Unable to login again
    Deauthorized the iOS app using a web login on Mac
    Deleted the iOS app
    Reinstalled the iOS app
    Login fails with “ We weren't able to sign in to your
    account. Maybe there's a typo? Check your sign-in details and try again.”

Verified the login and password and am able to login with a safari browser, which prompted me for a Yubikey.

But app doesn’t prompt for a Yubikey, just fails to login (note:credentials are verified to be correct)

iOS app is not usable. Please help

• BrainD
    BrainD
    Community Member
    Options

+1 same issue

• GreyM1P
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hi there @BrainD

At time of writing, there is an issue affecting signing in to 1Password for iOS if you have only a hardware security key such as a YubiKey set as your two-factor authentication method. Our Development team are investigating this issue, and I'm sorry for the inconvenience it's causing right now.

To work around this for now, you can add an authenticator app in your two-factor authentication settings for your 1Password account, and use a one-time password to sign in to 1Password for iOS.

Turn on two-factor authentication for your 1Password account

I'll add this thread to our internal tracker for this issue.

— Grey

• BrainD
    BrainD
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Grey.

• Dave_1P
    Options

Thank you for reporting the issue. 🙂

-Dave

• Martin68
    Martin68
    Community Member
    Options

I ran into this when setting up a new iPad. I have 2FA enabled using a Yubikey, and, as an alternative, using an authenticator. The reason for having an alternative is that my old iPad could not use a Yubikey unless you used the one which had a lightning connector. My new one has USB-C so I should be able to use my Yubikey.

However I got the 'perhaps there's a typo' error. I tried several times to log in from the iPad by re-entering my login credentials, secret key, etc. Then I had an idea - try logging in using the authenticator. That worked!

There's probably a fix for this my now but I thought it might be helpful to add my experience. Hope it helps.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Martin68

Thank you for adding your report and I'm happy that you were able to use your authenticator app to workaround the issue.

-Dave

• kvr
    kvr
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here. can't add my account to the ios app (v8) as I only have a Yubikey hardware security key as the 2nd authentication factor. @GreyM1P is there an ETA for the fix. Thank you.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@kvr

I'm sorry that you're also affected by the issue. Our developers are still working on a fix and I don't have an ETA to share at the moment. When the fix is released you'll see it noted in our release notes: 1Password Releases

To workaround the issue and add your account to 1Password for iOS you can temporarily add a TOTP authenticator as a second factor and then remove it once the account is added to the app: Turn on two-factor authentication for your 1Password account

I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

-Dave

• kvr
    kvr
    Community Member
    Options

The issue has been fixed in v8.10.8 in the BETA channel. To install the beta ios app, go to https://support.1password.com/betas/

• Dave_1P
    Options

@kvr

I'm not seeing a fix in beta 8.10.8-42 and the internal work item for the issue remains open. Can you confirm that you're able to use your security key to add your account to 1Password for iOS version 8.10.8-42 (BETA)? I'd be happy to pass along your report to our developers.

-Dave

• kvr
    kvr
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P I can confirm that after installing ios beta 8.10.8-42, I could add my 1Password account to the app even though I only have hardware security keys as my 2FA method.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@kvr

I'm happy to hear that things are now working for you. The issue doesn't affect everyone so it's possible that something changed to get things working for you specifically. Our developers are continuing to investigate this issue and plan to release a permanent fix in a future update.

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.