System crash caused by memory leak

Options

Has anyone using the beta had their system just die on them due to "low memory"?

I found that 1Password was having a committed memory leak and was causing this on my system. Switching back to prod fixed the issue. Let me know if you guys are interested in debugging this issue

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @Cubox! 👋

Thank you for reporting the issue. I'm not seeing other reports just yet, if you reinstall the beta then are you able to reproduce the issue at all? If you can then are you able to share a screenshot of how much memory 1Password is using from the Activity Monitor when you see the error message?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• seanuk
    seanuk
    Community Member
    Options

I have had this issue as well, on Windows 11 - I want to revert back to the production version, but the installer doesn't let me as it says I have a newer version.

I didn't know what was causing my issues, and I was just closing things down 1 by 1 to see what changed - closing 1Password dropped my commit charge by 30% - I didn't notice it was using lots of RAM though?

There was an update which I have just applied, so I'll see if it continues. 1Password also seems to be disconnected from my Edge browser as well now, this is for the last few days - but it still the case on this currently version.

• seanuk
    seanuk
    Community Member
    Options

For info: I've just been running the latest 1Password for maybe 40 mins - here's the drop in commit charge, when I exited 1Password.

• Adeiko
    Adeiko
    Community Member
    Options

Hey there. Just wanted to add to this report.
    Using this version from the beta channel for the previous days, took me a while but i found it was the culprit of a memory leak.
    1Password for Windows 8.10.8 (81008024)

You would see this number of memory add 100Mb every minute or so, until it was completelly full.

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @seanuk and @Adeiko, thanks for sharing these screenshots! An issue has been filed for our team to investigate this, and I've added the details you've provided to this issue.

In the meantime, I'll include the steps to revert to the production release below. Before you begin, make sure you are able to log in at 1Password.com and have a complete and up-to-date set of your data there. It's also a good idea to make sure you have a copy of your Emergency Kit with your password filled in: Get your Emergency Kit

1. Uninstall 1Password and remove all associated data with the steps listed here: How to uninstall 1Password
    2. Download and install the latest production release: Download 1Password 8 for Windows
    3. In the app under ⋮ > Settings > Advanced, make sure that your release channel is set to Production.

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions, let us know!

ref: dev/core/core#22495

• bodrick
    bodrick
    Community Member
    Options

I can also confirm this particular issue I have been fighting with memory leak for the last couple of weeks and was unable to determine the source. I was using up to 64 gigs of Ram and page file causing my machine to crash after about 7 hours of use.

Seeing this post I closed 1 password and the memory was released. as far as I can determine there wasn't any indications that it was 1 password that was caused in the memory problems even with pool monitoring etc.

Since I now I've determined the source of the leak word detailed logs of the process running be useful

• seanuk
    seanuk
    Community Member
    Options

This problem has now been released on the production version.

I had resolved it by installing the beta and going back to production - and my PC has just starting crashing again - and it looks like production has just been updated and now contains this problem too.

• herrchin
    herrchin
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

@1P_Gem I'm seeing this in production channel as well.

How about 40GB of committed memory in less than 24 hours :)

I took some process explorer screenshots, and with all browsers closed and background processes killed, starting 1password and leaving it at the lock screen waiting for my passphrase, it consumes 4.536 MB more of Share Commit memory every 1 second.

Closing the desktop app releases the memory immediately.

Windows 10 22H2
    1Password for Windows 8.10.8, 81008045 on PRODUCTION channel

Edge extension 2.12.0 21200004, on STABLE channel (though generally not using Edge, no extension update offered)
    Firefox extension 2.11.0 21100005, on STABLE channel (no update offered)
    Chrome extension 2.12.0 21200004, on STABLE channel (no update offered)

• seanuk
    seanuk
    Community Member
    Options

Where can we download the previous version to get this working again?

• seanuk
    seanuk
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @OlivierP !

• Adam Palmer
    Adam Palmer
    Community Member
    Options

I do not have any screenshots to back up my claim, because when it gets so bad that Windows explorer gets all wonky and won't let me take screenshots. However, I can also confirm I'm experiencing the memory leak in production channel on desktop version 8.10.8.

I seem to be able to run the Edge extension without issues though. I just cannot run the desktop app and it likes to auto-start on it's own.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi folks,

We're still looking into this and having some difficulties in reproducing this.

However, we believe we fixed the memory leak. Could we ask if anyone affected to try the latest nightly build, 81009009, to see if it stops the memory leak? You can switch to the nightly build via the 1Password Settings > Advanced > Release Channel.

Once selected, go to About tab in Settings to check for an update.

It will not fix the issue with the browser extension yet, we're working on that right now.

• herrchin
    herrchin
    Community Member
    Options

The nightly build looks to have stopped the runaway memory use on my machine!

• MikeT
    Options

That's great, thanks for the confirmation.

We're working on fixing the browser extension for the next nightly build.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi folks,

We've just released 1Password for Windows 81009010 nightly build that should address the browser extension integration issues along with the memory leaks it may have been caused.

Please check for the nightly updates and let us know if it is working properly now for you.

• aro148
    aro148
    Community Member
    Options

Maybe it has something to to with it. 1Password process has the highest pagefault counter all the time.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @aro148,

Thanks for reporting that. Can you confirm which build of 1Password are you using?

How long has 1Password been running when you took that screenshot?

Here, this was the number with 1Password running since yesterday.

Installing the latest nightly build from last night and a new start:

• aro148
    aro148
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, it is production branch and nightly branch. This issue happens immediatelly after starting 1Password.
    My System is:
    7950x3d AM5, 64 Gb, Windows 11 22h2 Enterprise with 06-2023 Update and latest available drivers and bios. I am using desktop app, and browser plugin for Edge,Chrome,Brave and Firefox.
    As I can see, you obviously don't have this issue on your system. I will check my second Windows 11 PC to see if this one behaves the same way.

• MikeT
    Options

Thanks for listing your specs.
    I'll take a look on how it reacts on Windows enterprise version and get back to you. Some of the recent regressions were only found on the Enterprise version.

• aro148
    aro148
    Community Member
    Options

I have checked the second system, a 5800x AM4 with 32 GB with Win11 Home, same Patch Level. It does not have the issue.
    Here is another screenshot of the process with the issue:

If I suspend or kill the thread 26596 with the start Address "index.node!git_patch_owner" the issue will go away. At the first look, 1Password seems to run properly.
    There is an open support call with ID #YYF-91118-712. I send everything via mail.

• MikeT
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hi @aro148,

Just confirmed it is continuously increasing in PF count on the W11 enterprise side.

I'll file an issue and we'll get that fixed.

ref: dev/core/core#22700

• aro148
    aro148
    Community Member
    Options

As a developer, I would appreciate it if you could share the cause of the high Page Fault Count associated with Win11 Enterprise.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi folks,

The page fault issue should now be greatly improved with the latest nightly build, 1Password for Windows 8.10.9 (81009021).

@aro148, I've asked for more details that we can share. My basic understanding is that it was due to how we were setting memory protection on our processes, which has its own challenges on specific Windows versions as well as domain/user types. It was stuck in a loop on business/enterprise versions after we were updating our internal Windows libraries in the last update.

This discussion has been closed.