Manually link an iOS app to a login

Options
SyberCorp
SyberCorp
Community Member

Unless I’m mistaken, there is no way to link an iOS app to a login manually - it has to be suggested as part of the login saving function. This is a problem with at least 1 app I have, because it doesn’t trigger 1Password to save any login info, and the only way to fill out the login fields are either manually typing them or by using the Passwords button that’s part of the iOS keyboard to then search for a valid login.

Please either correct me (if I’m wrong) or add a feature request to allow manually adding iOS applications to existing logins.

Comments

• Hello @SyberCorp! 👋

On the iPhone and iPad, AutoFill is specifically handled by iOS through an Apple feature named iOS Password AutoFill and 1Password only provides the data for the experience. Password AutoFill will match the apps that you use to your login items in 1Password by taking the associated domain associated with an app and comparing it against the website URL in your login items. If there is a match then Password AutoFill will offer to fill your login information.

If your login item is not being suggested for a particular app then you'll need to add the app's associated domain to your login item in 1Password. When you tap on the username or password field in an app you'll see the Password AutoFill prompt appear (above your keyboard), tap on the prompt and then search for the appropriate login item. Then, tap on that Login Item and tap Fill & Update Login.

1Password will add the app’s associated domain to the Login Item so that, the next time you try to login to that app, Password AutoFill will suggest the right login.

If you don't see Fill & Update Login when you search for and tap on a Login Item then it means that the developer of that app hasn't added an associated domain and there is nothing for Password AutoFill to use to match the app to a Login item in 1Password. This means that you'll need to search for the correct Login item.

You can also contact the developer of an app to have them add a specific URL as an associated domain for their app so that you don't need to manually add another URL to your login items. Here is Apple's developer page regarding associated domains: Supporting Associated Domains | Apple Developer Documentation

-Dave

• SyberCorp
    SyberCorp
    Community Member
    Options

Good to know how it works behind the scenes but it doesn’t really help me without a way to find out what the app’s associated domains are currently set to or without the ability to link an app manually (which, from what you said, doesn’t appear to be possible).

Is there a way to look at the app to see if it truly doesn’t have any associated domains?

• @SyberCorp

Try these steps:

1. Open an app.
    2. Tap on the username or password field in that app.
    3. Tap on the "Passwords" prompt above the keyboard.

You'll now see a 1Password screen that includes a section labeled SUGGESTIONS FOR [website address]. This website address is the app’s associated domain. If you don't see a website address here then it means that the app developer hasn't included an associated domain.

-Dave

• SyberCorp
    SyberCorp
    Community Member
    Options

Here’s a screen recording of the issue. Just to make sure we’re talking about the same thing (which I’m pretty sure we are). If so, then I’ll reach out to the app developers again to let them know why it’s not working and see what they can do.

https://youtube.com/shorts/2ZV5uPI777s?feature=share

• rudy
    Options

@SyberCorp,

Yup, that it says "No Suggestions" means that they very likely do not have Associated Domains setup on their website in the .well-known/apple-app-site-association file. you can peruse ours to see an example of what that might look like https://1password.com/.well-known/apple-app-site-association

• SyberCorp
    SyberCorp
    Community Member
    edited April 2023
    Options

@rudy I’m confused now. Is it just a flat text file that needs to be published on a public website for the domain the app accesses? Or is this just an example and it needs to be a part of the app that’s installed on a device?

• @SyberCorp

Thank you for the reply. Apple's developer instructions on how to support associated domains can be found here: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/xcode/supporting-associated-domains

-Dave

• SyberCorp
    SyberCorp
    Community Member
    Options

I see. So it’s both - part of it is just the flat text file that’s hosted on the website and the other part is the entitlement within the app, and they effectively work similar to a public/private key pairing.

• Once an app developer supports an associated domain for their app, iOS is able to match their app with a Login Item in 1Password.

Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

-Dave

• beijder
    beijder
    Community Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

Hi There,

I'm having the exact same issue for several years now.

I do fully understand what Dave is explaining and I do have taken some actions towards
    developers of various applications, but until now NO one has taken (or is willing to take) the appropriate actions to solve this.
    Some say it's an issue that 1Password should solve, others refuse to take the actions as they do not want to add/list the domain for whatever reason.

Why isn't it possible for 1Password to create a sort of a link between the app and a login entry?
    When you are in a specific entry you should be able to select from a list of all installed apps the one
    that you want to "bind" to the specific entry. Each time when you click on the "Passwords" link when you need to enter your password info 1Password opens and should present the correct entry from the list.

I do not understand why this can't be programmed... It sounds so simple... ;-)
    Or alternatively, make it possible that one can add the name of an app so it will be checked and added to the list of suggestions when searching for the correct entry... Now an empty screen pops up with "Proposed Items". It should at least search for the name of the app and "suggest" it...

Guido

• Dave_1P
    edited July 2023
    Options

@beijder

Why isn't it possible for 1Password to create a sort of a link between the app and a login entry?

Apps on iOS are sandboxed and work "inside of their rectangle". The interaction between iOS apps, such as the interaction between a password manager and another app, is deliberately limited by Apple for security and privacy reasons.

It's important to remember that iOS is more locked down than other systems such as macOS.

1Password code is not involved in detecting apps and filling logins inside of those apps, all of that is handled by iOS itself using a feature called Password AutoFill. Password AutoFill takes the associated domain of an app, provides it to 1Password, and then 1Password finds the appropriate login item and sends the right username and password back to Password AutoFill so that iOS can fill the login credentials into the app that you're using.

If an app developer is unwilling to publish an associated domain for their app then the only other option is to copy and paste your password from 1Password into that app: Copy and fill passwords into apps that don't work with 1Password

-Dave

• beijder
    beijder
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave,

I understand what you are explaining. Also about the sandboxing process.

The only question is, when there is no Domain entry isn't it possible that
    1Password comes up with a valid suggestion? Now the Suggestion box is always
    empty. Isn't it possible to list the closest match based on the appname or based
    on a manually entered entry in any item field?

How does the suggestion box work otherwise? When 1Password has not found a
    valid Domain it does show the Suggestion list but I have never seen ANY proposed
    other entry so I don't now how this should work... As the app is already open it does
    have the app name in the code. Can't the suggestion box show entries in the 1Password
    list with similair names as proposals/suggestions?

Guido

• Dave_1P
    Options

@beijder

The suggestions are based on the associated domain (if there is one). If an app developer does not include an associated domain with their app then 1Password doesn't get any other clues from iOS that would help it suggest a Login item to you.

As the app is already open it does have the app name in the code. Can't the suggestion box show entries in the 1Password list with similair names as proposals/suggestions?

As far as I'm aware, but I'm not a developer myself, iOS does not allow apps to see the names of other apps installed on your iPhone.

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.