Safari - clear history - new tab opens wit "1Password browser extension needs to restart" - disable?

Options

Every time I clear history on Safari - which can be often - I get a new tab open up - and worse take me off the page I'm on - with the following message "1Password browser extension needs to restart"

It's beyond annoying.

How do I disable it?

Oh and btw how do I attach a screenshot to this post?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @tomato_1,

I'm sorry about the confusion regarding that error message. I'll be glad to provide some insight.

1Password for Safari maintains a connection to our encrypted servers (we call it the IDBDatabase connection) which allows its functions to work properly. However, if your browser's cache, cookies, or history is cleared, Safari wipes that database connection, and that's why the error message appears.

You can find more details in our support article regarding the error message:

Suppose the 1Password cannot autofill in Safari after you dismissed the error message. Can you try the following steps without restarting Safari to restore 1Password's functionalities:

1. Open Safari's Settings page
    2. Go to the Extension tab
    3. Disable 1Password for Safari on the list and re-enable it to test again

I'd like to suggest a workaround when you clear Safari's history:

• While clearing Safari's history, we can hold down the Option key and we should see the option change to "Clear History and Keep Website Data...".

• This way, the clear history will not affect the functionality or settings of 1Password for Safari and the message tab won't appear:

Regarding your other questions about attaching screenshots here:

• We can copy the screenshot and paste it here as expected.
    • You can also click the button to attach a picture (pardon me if you see it differently on your screen):

I hope the above explanation helps with your concern. Let us know if you have any other questions.

I hope the above explanation helps with your concern. Let us know if you have any other questions.

• tomato_1
    tomato_1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Kevin

Thanks so much for your help. The option key work around fixed my issue.

As an aside - the updates to the Safari app have made it alot more useable - congrats to the team for their hard work.

Rgds
    Andrew

• Thanks for getting back to us @tomato_1.

That's great to hear, let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

This discussion has been closed.