How Do I Fix The “Press The 1Password Icon In Your Browser’s Toolbar To Unlock”?

Options
nimvio
nimvio
Community Member
edited June 2023 in iOS

It happened recently, so currently I must manually go to the 1Password extension in the Safari browser to get it to unlock, such as to fill a login with the extension. The problem is that it keeps saying that message, and normally you can initiate the authentication right from the login fields.

1Password Version: 1Password for iOS 8.10.8 81008024, on BETA channel
Extension Version: 2.11??
OS Version: iPadOS 16.5
Browser:_ Safari (iOS/iPadOS)

Comments

• Hey @nimvio,

It sounds like 1Password in your browser might be having a hard time connecting with your 1Password app. Can you try the following steps:

1. Right click the little 1Password icon on the top menu bar of your Mac (where the clock is) and select "Quit".
    2. Quit Safari by right clicking its icon in the Dock and selecting "Quit".
    3. Open and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open Safari and test if it is working properly.

Let me know how you get on.

• nimvio
    nimvio
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

@steph.giles , I’m sorry for the confusion, but I was referring to the 1Password extension/app on iOS & iPadOS. (I’m using the latest TestFlight beta.)

• nimvio
    nimvio
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

@ag_tommy , I’m now experiencing the same or similar issue on iOS devices. I’m using the latest TestFlight beta, and I’ve tried reinstalling the app, switching on/off “Ask” and “Allow (for all sites)” in the Safari extension settings on device. Basically, I can no longer initiate the unlocking process directly by pressing on the 1Password icon in a login field. It tells me to use the toolbar icon instead. Seems to have just started recently.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@nimvio

Thank you for the clarification. It sounds like 1Password for Safari is having trouble authenticating. Please try the following steps:

1. Fully close Safari on iOS.
    2. Fully close 1Password on iOS.
    3. Open and unlock the main 1Password app from your home screen.
    4. Open Safari and go to any webpage.
    5. Tap on the AA icon in the address bar.
    6. Tap on 1Password in the menu.
    7. Follow the prompt to unlock 1Password for Safari.

Does this resolve the issue or do you see the same message? I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• nimvio
    nimvio
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

Still the same thing, @Dave_1P . Steps to reproduce: 1) Go to a website where you want to login; 2) Tap on the username field (or it might automatically “focus” the username field, and automatically pop up the iOS keyboard, after the page loads); 3) The message is presented (by the 1Password icon within the username field), and it tells you to manually go to the AA to unlock 1Password (extension).

The problem here is it’s faster to just use the built-in autofill feature in the keyboard, and not the 1Password extension, because you have to go through several more taps. This issue doesn’t occur on the Mac. I just tap the 1Password icon in the username field and Boom!, it unlocks right there no problem.

(Also, I’ve tried reinstalling the app, and doing the thing where you change the permissions setting for the extension in the iOS Safari settings.)

1Password iOS version: 1Password for iOS 8.10.8 81008042, on BETA channel

iOS version: 16.5 (latest stable public release)

• ovq
    ovq
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue on iOS.
    Running the latest 1P TestFlight version on iOS 16.6b3

• HinghamHarborMan
    HinghamHarborMan
    Community Member
    Options

I've been experiencing the same issue for the last couple betas of 8.10.8 builds.

I've completely uninstalled the TestFlight and installed production, the issue isn't occurring there, then going back to TestFlight cause the issue to occur again.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@nimvio and @HinghamHarborMan

Thank you for the reports. Please reproduce the issue one more time using version 8.10.9-12 from Testflight and then, so that we can investigate further, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iOS device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• HinghamHarborMan
    HinghamHarborMan
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P Using the current 8.10.9 TestFlight beta, the issue has been resolved for me. I'm now about to tap the locked icon in a text field and 1Password unlocks.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@HinghamHarborMan

I'm happy to hear that you're no longer seeing the issue on the latest beta. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.