Digital inheritance: notification on first use of a specific emergency kit

Options
Waldo000000
Waldo000000
Community Member
edited June 2023 in Families

As part of family's digital inheritance planning, I plan to provide an "emergency access kit" to the executor of my will, and another to a friend. I understand this is the current best known workaround to 1Password's lack of features in this area (please correct me if I'm wrong).

While I trust these people, nobody is 100% trustworthy. Therefore, I would like to receive some sort of notification if one of these kits is used before my death. I also need to be able to identify which kit was activated, ie whether it was my executor, OR my friend.

I would ideally like each emergency kit to grant access to my entire account.

Please advise if this is possible, for example using "guest" or other accounts, notification settings, etc.

Comments

• Hi @Waldo000000,

There would be no way to specify which kit provided access to the account, you would be able to see what device(s) have access the account via your authorized devices list and could sort out if someone is accessing the account that way but there is no way to specify via the Emergency Kit.

• Waldo000000
    Waldo000000
    Community Member
    Options

you would be able to see

Can you be more specific please? What notifications, if any, could I rely on? And what configuration, if any, do I need to set in 1password to be assured these notifications will be sent as expected? As you can imagine, the consequences of getting this wrong are significant.

Thanks!

• GreyM1P
    Options

@Waldo000000

You'll get an email advising you of a new sign-in on a new device or browser (including device, operating system, and our best guess at location), and you can see all your Authorized Devices in the My Profile section of 1Password.com:

1. Sign in to 1Password.com
    2. Click your name and photo in the top-right corner and choose My Profile.
    3. Your Authorized Devices will be shown in a list, a bit like this:

If you find any devices that shouldn't be there, you can click the ⚙️ gear button next to it and then click Deauthorize Device.

• Waldo000000
    Waldo000000
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I'll test that out to decide whether it provides me with enough confidence to proceed with 1password as part of digital inheritance.

Please pass on my feedback that it would be useful to have a way to explicitly identify which emergency kit was activated (eg whether it was my executor, OR my friend, etc).

• @Waldo000000,

While I can't make any promises, I've filed a feature request internally to bring this to the attention of our team. They regularly review feature requests from our customers to consider what should be added or changed to future versions of 1Password. Your feedback, along with feedback from our other customers, helps them immensely with their planning.

Thank you again for your suggestion, we appreciate your feedback and love hearing from you - Please let me know if you ever have other ideas on how we could improve 1Password or if there is anything else I can help you out with!

This discussion has been closed.