To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Differing Watchtower Scores

Options
TodmundCole
TodmundCole
Community Member

I'm trying to figure out how the Watchtower scores are calculated. If I run it on my personal account with 308 items, I get a score of 930. If I run it on my work account with 251 items, I get a score of 1111. But if I run it against "All Accounts", the score drops to 854.

It seems like the score should be somewhere between the two, not lower than the lower score. And, to be clear, there are not passwords that are duplicated between the two accounts (e.g. the Reused password count for "All Accounts" is a sum of the personal and work values). And these scores are all as recorded on the same device

1Password Version: 8.10.8
Extension Version: 2.12.0
OS Version: Windows 10.0.19045
Browser: Chrome 114

Comments

• ag_josephine
    edited July 2023
    Options

Hi @TodmundCole,

The exact algorithm that is responsible for determining your Watchtower score is a proprietary secret but we've written a blog that explains the sorts of things that you can do to increase your score: How to Improve Your 1Password Watchtower Score

In general, resolving potential vulnerabilities that Watchtower flags will increase your score. Doing things like making sure that automatic updates are turned on for the 1Password app will also increase your score as 1Password will recognize that as an action that you've taken to protect yourself and your data.

The highest score that you can obtain will change as time goes on and technology progresses. But the higher the score the better! 🙂

• Leah1P
    Options

Hey @TodmundCole, are you seeing this score discrepancy on two different devices (iPhone vs. Mac) or the same device? Watchtower scores can differ by device since it takes into account how you're using 1Password on each device. It also depends which Watchtower features are enabled/disabled on each device (you can find these features under Settings > Privacy > Watchtower).

• TodmundCole
    TodmundCole
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @Leah1P, the scores I was looking at were on the same device (PC Laptop - Chrome browser)

• Leah1P
    Options

Is the discrepancy between the app and the browser? Here are some settings to check which will affect the score on your device:

1. Is the “Check for vulnerable passwords” setting enabled/disabled on all of your devices?
    2. Are automatic updates enabled for the 1Password app on your desktop?
    3. Is Shared Lock State (“Connect with 1Password in the browser”) enabled in the 1Password app on your desktop?

The more items you add to 1Password, the better the effect of having strong passwords will be. If you don't have many items right now, make sure the ones you do have are strong, and your score will increase over time as you add more items to 1Password.

This discussion has been closed.