MSI vs Store App

Options
AdaminDC
AdaminDC
Community Member
edited July 2023 in Business and Teams

I just discovered that you now have 1Password version 8 in the Microsoft Store. I’ve pushed the MSI version 8.10.4 via Intune to approximate 14 staff. However that version doesn’t auto update and creates conflict if the end user has already installed the exe version (a separate thread)

If I deploy the Store version via Intune, how will that live with the MSI version? Will it overwrite it? Do they live side-by-side or do neither work? Does the store version auto-upgrade?

Please advise as to the best method of pushing out the desktop version.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• AdaminDC
    AdaminDC
    Community Member
    Options

I had a user who installed the EXE desktop version. We then pushed out the MSI version via Intune. The problem with this is that both programs were running side by side instead of one replacing the other. This was unexpected. Neither one would work properly. We uninstalled both of them and Intune would no longer install the MSI version. I then manually installed the MSI version and it would not run – throwing up an error saying that the exe version had been installed in the past and needed to be upgraded. I uninstalled the msi version and installed the exe version and now it works.

I would have preferred if the msi version had worked so that this user could be like, hopefully, all users.

Suggestions on cleaning up previous versions?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser: Not Provided

• Hello @AdaminDC,

I'm Scott on the 1Password support team. It's nice to meet you. Since you've asked a lot of great questions, I'll quote each and put my answer below.

I just discovered that you now have 1Password version 8 in the Microsoft Store.

This was released earlier this week, and is equivalent to installing 1Password with the .exe installer. Since your team is using Intune to manage which version is deployed to your team, I would advise not installing from the Microsoft store. More on this below.

I’ve pushed the MSI version 8.10.4 via Intune to approximate 14 staff.

FYI: Version 8.10.4 is quite outdated. The latest release is 8.10.9. Please see our Deploy 1Password for Mac and Windows support article for a download link and other important info about how to keep 1Password deployments up to date, and consider deploying an updated version of 1Password with your team.

However that version doesn’t auto update and creates conflict if the end user has already installed the exe version (a separate thread)

This is correct. Because the .msi is installed system wide (in %ProgramFiles%), it's also possible for an individual user to install the .exe which is installed in %LocalAppData%. Both programs would use the same directory to store data, and this can lead to problems if there are different versions installed, the browser integration is enabled (it is by default), or both programs are opened at the same time.

The best option is for your team members to uninstall any version of 1Password they installed on their own and have Intune handle the installation and update of 1Password.

If I deploy the Store version via Intune, how will that live with the MSI version? Will it overwrite it? Do they live side-by-side or do neither work?

See my previous answer if you haven't yet. The Microsoft Store installs using the .exe installer, so its possible for it to live side by side with the 1Password app deployed by Intune. Neither will overwrite the other, so problems are likely if both are installed.

Does the store version auto-upgrade?

Yes

We uninstalled both of them and Intune would no longer install the MSI version. I then manually installed the MSI version and it would not run – throwing up an error saying that the exe version had been installed in the past and needed to be upgraded. I uninstalled the msi version and installed the exe version and now it works.

I would have preferred if the msi version had worked so that this user could be like, hopefully, all users.

I suspect this happened because an older version of the.msi was installed, which is not compatible with the local database that was created or updated by a newer version of 1Password, installed through the .exe installer.

Installing a current version should resolve the issue. The download link is available in our support article: Deploy 1Password for Mac and Windows

Suggestions on cleaning up previous versions?

I'd suggest three things:

1. Have your team remove any installations of 1Password they did on their own, either with the .exe installer, or from the Microsoft Store.
    2. Deploy the latest .msi to the team. It currently version 8.10.9.
    3. If any issues remain, email BusinessSupport@1Password.com with a link to this thread, and an attached diagnostics report from an impacted team member, so our team can better determine what is happening. https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?windows

I hope this information helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any questions!

Thank you,

• AdaminDC
    AdaminDC
    Community Member
    Options

Just typed a long reply to this - but lost it upon posting it. So, I'll try and recreate my thread quickly:

I'll stick with the MSI version. I just pushed out 8.10.8

If I'm not mistaken 8.10.9 hasn't made it to the download page just yet. Could you ask the web folks to create a download page that lists the version number as well as offers previous versions? It's hard to find the download link on the page. Additionally, besides an RSS feed, which isn't great, are you working on a notification system for when the new version of an MSI comes out? That would be helpful as well.

While a Store version of 1Password is great - not telling folks it's the EXE version creates a problem for Intune folks. Intune provides a super easy ability to distribute store apps. So - it's going to be one of the places we look to push out a product. I suggest updating the notes to say "this is the exe personal version. IT directors should use our MSI version!"

Thanks for this info - learning tons in the process.

• ag_max
    edited July 2023
    Options

@AdaminDC,

Could you ask the web folks to create a download page that lists the version number as well as offers previous versions? It's hard to find the download link on the page. Additionally, besides an RSS feed, which isn't great, are you working on a notification system for when the new version of an MSI comes out?

I'll go ahead and share this with our team internally. I'm not aware of any plans to introduce notifications when the next .MSI version of 1Password for Windows is released, though this is also something our team would be interested in tracking, so I'll share this as well.

While a Store version of 1Password is great - not telling folks it's the EXE version creates a problem for Intune folks. Intune provides a super easy ability to distribute store apps. So - it's going to be one of the places we look to push out a product. I suggest updating the notes to say "this is the exe personal version. IT directors should use our MSI version!"

I'll also share this with the team. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback to improve 1Password.

ref: pb-34351026

ref: pb-34351102

This discussion has been closed.