Should we notify 1Password if popular domain URLs change?

Options
xox
xox
Community Member

I know that 1Password recommends submitting pages and/or domains that have issues autofilling, but do you also recommend we submit domains that have changed URLs? Are these sort of "equivalent domains" maintained by 1Password somewhere as well, or is it up to the user to essentially manually update their entries whenever a domain URL change occurs?

I'm speaking especially for popular domains (imagine if Facebook.com were to one day default to Meta.com, for example, would 1Password go ahead and recognize Meta.com?).

For a current example, Angel.co (AngelList Talent) recently changed to Wellfound.com. It is a relatively popular site, but I understand if it's a bit under-the-radar to merit an update. Regardless, my question relates to whether we should bring up domain URL changes for undoubtedly popular domains, or whether this falls onto the users to update themselves.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• @xox

Generally speaking I've always taken this on myself to update the entry within 1Password as needed. You can even add a second URL to your login item should that be helpful. We don't have insights into your data. It is yours and yours alone. We actually have no clue on the sites you have saved. You might on occasion need to update the login or create one anew if the login does not function properly after the site has made such changed.

Save a login manually in your browser

• xox
    xox
    Community Member
    Options

OK, so it does seem that 1Password maintains a list of equivalent domains internally, at least for popular domains. I have a record that only has apple.com, but it also autofills on icloud.com.

So the question is just whether or not users should submit domain URL equivalents and changes, or whether the 1Password team has their own process for discovering these and does not accept user requests for these.

And if suggestions are accepted, please add wellfound.com as an equivalent domain for angel.co.

Thanks again

• Thank you for getting back to us @xox.

We gather the information for these equivalent domains from Apple’s Password Manager Resources and I have gone ahead and passed your suggestion on to the team for wellfound.com and angel.co.

For now I would suggest adding both URL's within the item as Tommy has suggested.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

ref: dev/core/core#23072

• xox
    xox
    Community Member
    Options

@steph.giles

Interesting! So if 1P just pulls from quirks/shared-credentials.json and/or quirks/shared-credentials-historical.json, maybe it's best to ask the Apple folks to add it on their end?

Thanks for the added color

• Steph has filed a request on our end to have that added for you.

This discussion has been closed.