Is there a way to disable, delete, or set my old Personal vault as "not default"?

Options
SeanQuallen
SeanQuallen
Community Member

I have been with 1Password for many years and after shifting from the old account setup to the cloud subscription a few years back I still have this lingering Personal vault.

This vault is not the vault I want to use. I want to use a shared one that I've setup with my wife. However, I see no way to remove this old vault or to set the shared one as default. This is starting to cause major problems--duplicates, items we cannot find or access. Much frustration.

Can someone please aid me here? I would like to remove this vault completely but, at the least, would like to have a default vault setting.

1Password Version: 8.10
Extension Version: 2.12.0
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser: Chrome

Comments

• billvortex
    billvortex
    Community Member
    Options

You have to do this on each computer, but on

Mac, 1Password -> Settings ->General -> Save new items in
    IOS, 1Password -> Account picture in the top left -> Settings -> General -> Save new items in

allows you to select a default vault, however, it doesn't always work with 8. I just check weeklyish in my personal vault to move things over.

• Hi @SeanQuallen,

If you're referring to the Private vault provided with a 1Password family account; this vault cannot be deleted.

You can follow the above suggest steps to change where items are saved by default, these steps can be followed on both a Mac and Windows device to he same result.

Additionally, you can create a collection that can include only the desired vault - Use collections to create custom groups of vaults; when you switch to a collection in the app or Quick Access, you’ll only see items from vaults in the collection.

• SeanQuallen
    SeanQuallen
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_josephine, but switching collections sounds like extra steps. I'm looking to ensure that my passwords get saved to the correct vault without having to resort to extra steps.

The comment above suggests that the setting for "save new items in" doesn't work consistently. Can you please comment on that?

• @SeanQuallen

The only time I've seen things not go where they should is when it's a me problem aka I got in a hurry and forgot that I was working in another vault and it should have been saved there not the one I specifically selected in settings. It can also change if you've removed and reinstalled 1Password in the browser. If that happens make sure to double check your settings. Also, if you use Safari and you reset your history it will clear the settings file for 1Password in the browser. I recommend using a Private window to help avoid this situation. We're working with Apple and hoping to address situations like this.

If anyone is able to reproduce a situation where it does not work please email us and work with the team to document the steps needed. We can get that to the development team and hopefully get a resolution.

• SeanQuallen
    SeanQuallen
    Community Member
    Options

Also, I have 2 work machines that I cannot install desktop apps on. How do I set this setting so that the Chrome extension picks it up in that scenario?

• @SeanQuallen

You'll set the configuration within 1Password in the browser. Right-click on the toolbar icon for 1Password and select settings. From there set the desired save location. Make sure 1Password is unlocked to see all options.

This discussion has been closed.