Account login in Chrome feels too insecure?

Options
Angelchops
Angelchops
Community Member
edited July 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

On my son's recommendation I've decided to give 1Password a try and have been getting an initial feel for the family trial version this afternoon.

I like it apart from one thing. I've added the 1Password browser extension which is very slick. However, when I open the Chrome browser and want to login to my actual 1Password account, 1Password helpfully offers to fill in my master password and with just a click I have logged in with full access to everything, passwords, secret key, the lot.

This is great, but wouldn't be too good if my house had just been burgled and the thief had stolen my PC. He would be able to access absolutely everything with relative simplicity.

I'm sure I'm missing something here. Perhaps I've done something wrong when setting things up? Is there a way I can at least force the master password to be input each time I open Chrome. I feel a little uncomfortable with the current setup.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.13.0
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser: Chrome

Comments

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

However, when I open the Chrome browser and want to login to my actual 1Password account, 1Password helpfully offers to fill in my master password and with just a click I have logged in with full access to everything, passwords, secret key, the lot

Did you mean that Chrome (not 1Password) offers to fill in the 1Password account password?

If so, I would remove the 1Password account password from Chrome.

• Angelchops
    Angelchops
    Community Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

No it’s definitely 1Password via the 1Password browser extension.

• Angelchops
    Angelchops
    Community Member
    Options

My mistake here sorry. I now realise the 1Password browser extension locks when Chrome is closed and the master password is then required to restart it.

• Hey @Angelchops,

Thank you for getting back to us. That's right 1Password will lock when you close you browser. Here is some more information on how you can manage your auto lock settings: How to set 1Password to lock automatically.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

This discussion has been closed.