What criteria must be met to show "Item found in wrong account"

Options
wesleynroberts
wesleynroberts
Community Member
edited June 2023 in Business and Teams

1Password for Mac 8.10.6 added "Watchtower will now warn about items that may have been saved into the wrong account."

What filters must be met for Watchtower to warn me of this? Will hitting "ignore" ignore it permamently?

1Password Version: 8.10.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOs
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• GreyM1P
    Options

Hi there @wesleynroberts

What filters must be met for Watchtower to warn me of this?

The username of the item matches the email address used for another signed-in 1Password account. For example, if you create an item in your 1Password Business account where the username is the email address for your 1Password Families account.

Will hitting "ignore" ignore it permamently?

Yes. 1Password adds a flag to the item's underlying data to show that it's to be excluded.

Hope that helps! :)

— Grey

• aaaaaa
    aaaaaa
    Community Member
    Options

This warning came up for me today in a 1Password Business login item which I have in a vault other than a vault in that 1Password Business account. I found it to be quite odd and worrying since:

1. I store this 1Password Business login item in a vault outside of the account which it's for so that I can actually access that 1Password Business account. If I were to take the suggestion and move the login item to a vault within the 1Password Business account, I would no longer be able to log in to that 1Password Business account.
    2. The message makes the confident assertion that items are definitely in the "wrong account," despite that potentially not being the case. For example: for Watchtower items with "Unsecured websites" it's 100% accurate that there are URLs that don't have an https, but for "Items found in wrong account" this seems to be subjective.
    3. There is a grammatical error (missing period at the end of the description):

Note that none of the other Watchtower descriptions are missing periods at the end:

A missing period may not seem like a big deal, but when you put a great deal of trust into a software application that is meant to protect the most critical information in your life, you usually expect a higher level of quality to be found the application.

• ag_max
    Options

Hi @aaaaaa,

Thanks for taking the time to share this. For any items containing email address linked to another account that you definitely need to store in another account, using the "Ignore" action is recommended here.

Regarding your other feedback, could you make sure the 1Password app is fully up-to-date? There were some changes made with a recent version and the grammatical error was fixed. You may find the new wording for the Watchtower banner a bit less subjective. The Watchtower card should now look like:

• aaaaaa
    aaaaaa
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_max, thanks for the info. I've updated the app to 8.10.8 and now I see the new wording shown above, and I agree that it's less subjective now.

I was planning to report back here with the version number I'd been using before updating to as a reference, but the screenshot I'd taken did not work because of the extremely frustrating issue where 1Password does not allow you to take macOS screenshots when the 1Password app is in focus/active. I realize this may somehow be considered a security feature which prevents one potential source of leakage of sensitive information, but do you know if there is a way to disable this functionality?

I rely heavily on taking screenshots during my day-to-day workflows and it's frustrating when I forget that screenshots don't work when taken with 1Password in focus. So then I have to go back and bring up the screen that I wanted to capture, then click away from 1Password to bring Finder into focus, then take the screenshot.

• ag_max
    Options

Hi @aaaaaa,

Glad to hear you're seeing the new wording. For the problem where you're unable to take a screenshot when 1Password for Mac is in focus, please send an email to support@1password.com using the email address associated with your 1Password account, so our Mac experts can investigate and advise. After you send the email, feel free to post the ticket number you receive so we can locate your message and connect it with this discussion. I'm not aware of any changes made or issues where 1Password will prevent screenshots from being captured.

• aaaaaa
    aaaaaa
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_max, thanks for the follow up. I did some testing and found that the issue I'm experiencing only happens when using the Clipboard History feature of the Alfred productivity app and using the control modifier key when taking screenshots, which saves the screenshot to the clipboard instead of a file. Saving screenshots to the clipboard and pasting them via Alfred is my typical daily workflow, and this doesn't work when 1Password is in focus. I will reach out to the Alfred team to see if they have a solution.

• Thanks for the update, @aaaaaa. Let us know what you find out. In the mean time, I'll also bring this up internally in case any of our developers have any ideas.

• djurgensen
    djurgensen
    Community Member
    Options

This is another question about items that may have been saved into the wrong account. I have a number of items that have a username that is the same as my 1Password username, but they are still being flagged with the wrong account status while other items with the same username are not being flagged. Any idea why this would be happening?
    Thanks

• Hello @djurgensen,

The logic that flags items as belonging (or not belonging) in account is still quite new. It currently should only be comparing the email of 1Password accounts that are signed in, but we have plans to expand this in the future.

If you think something isn't working correctly now, please email BusinessSupport@1Password.com and we'll be glad to help investigate for you.

Thank you,

• djurgensen
    djurgensen
    Community Member
    Options

@ScottS1P I have two accounts, my wife’s business account and our family account and I had all accounts selected, so I may have cross items on both accounts and was just confused. I think I have it straighten out now, Thanks

• On behalf of Scott, you're welcome. Have a great evening!

This discussion has been closed.