MacOS Chrome Extension keeps opening endless login tabs

Options

1Password for Mac 8.7.0 on Chrome 101.0.4951.54 (Official Build) (x86_64), latest extension

I cannot use the 1Password Chrome Extension as it keeps opening endless sign-in (login) Tabs. I had to force kill my browser and hack my way around to stop it from opening these new tabs. Also, before that I wasn't able to click anything when generating new passwords (the "suggest" prompt appeared but it wasn't clickable), and when generating a new password manually via the extension it didn't copy in order to paste.

I moved everything over from F-Secure as their password manager is becoming a weird mess of Norton-style security theatre and clickbait. But at the moment 1Password looks the same to me, despite paying for both. Whatever I do I have to click 5 times between dozens of options when all I want to do is to generate and save passwords and not use Chrome - but it looks like all password vendors beg users to please just use Chrome and leave them alone.

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: Latest
OS Version: macOS 11.6.5 (20G527

Comments

• paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @alarmhonk

Thanks for reaching out to us here. I'm sorry you've bumped into this issue, and apologize for the inconvenience.

This is a known issue that has to do with a specific flow using two-factor authentication with 1Password. Our development team is aware, and is working to implement a fix as soon as possible. I've gone ahead and added your experience and feedback to that issue as well.

In the meantime here is a workaround to stop the infinite loop:

1. Right-click the 1Password icon in the browser's toolbar and click 'Settings'.
    2. In the General section of the Settings screen, turn off "Integrate with 1Password app".

I realize it may not be an ideal workaround, but we hope to have thing sorted out soon. Thanks for your patience.

Let me know if you have questions! 🙂

ref: dev/core/core#14622

• Nikkor
    Nikkor
    Community Member
    Options

Any updates?

• alarmhonk
    alarmhonk
    Community Member
    Options

Apologies for the tardy reply. That worked, thank you @paul.m_1p , appreciate the kind reply after my rant - sorry for the harsh words.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Nikkor @alarmhonk, I don't yet have an update on the the issue, as our developers are still working on a solution. However, I'll try to reach out to them to see if there's anything we can do to move this along.

I do want to note that there is now a better workaround to get things working normally again. Here are the steps:

1. Open your browser and go here: https://my.1password.com/signin > Sign in to your 1Password account > Turn off 2FA to your account.

2. Close and open your browser > Right-click the 1Password icon in the browser toolbar > Click Settings > Scroll down to "Integrate with 1Password app" at the end of General section and toggle it off > Scroll down to "Accounts & vaults" > Sign out of your account.

3. Go back to your account at https://my.1password.com/signin > Turn back on 2FA.

4. Right-click the 1Password icon in the browser toolbar > Click Settings > Scroll down to "Accounts & vaults" > Sign back in to your account.

5. After that, please restart your computer for good measure.

6. Finally, open your browser > Right-click the 1Password icon in the browser toolbar > Click Settings > Turn on the "Integrate with 1Password app" option again.

Let us know how that goes!

• Nikkor
    Nikkor
    Community Member
    Options

Too many steps. 😉 It works OK at the moment and will wait for the update. It is enough if I find the solution in the update notes.
    But I am surprised that it takes so long.

• ababnz
    ababnz
    Community Member
    Options

This still appears to be broken as I got caught in this nasty endless tab spawning loop today :(

• Hi @ababnz,

I'm sorry to hear that you are running into the issue. This issue might happen when we enable 2FA before installing 1Password in the browser, or we didn't finish the verification prompt in the desktop app after enabling 2FA.

Can you try the steps above provided by my colleague Joy?

Let us know how it goes.

• ababnz
    ababnz
    Community Member
    Options

I managed to fix it by uninstalling the chrome extension, relogging into the chrome browser and then reinstalling the chrome extension. However it was pretty ugly at the time it was happening to get control of the browser again. Would be great to get this fixed.

• Hi @ababnz,

Thanks for letting us know you have fixed the issue. I assure you that our development team is fully aware of the issue and working on the fix.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

• BvG013
    BvG013
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @kevin.li,

I also experienced my browser extension in Chrome on Windows 11 opening new tabs continuously.
    It felt quite malicious so I closed Chrome quickly.
    When looking into the sign-attempts reports I see multiple 2FA failed attempts around the time this issue occurred.
    Are the failed 2FA attempts also a symptom of this issue?

• Hey @BvG013,

You're correct. 2FA failure attempts usually indicate an incomplete authentication process, which will trigger the issue.

Can you try the suggestion above, as my colleague Joy suggested?

Let us know how it goes.

• staylebait
    staylebait
    Community Member
    Options

I am having same problem and am practically dead in the water on my work computer as I had to uninstall 1Password where all my work passwords are stored. I am unable to follow the directions above because it keeps firing up new tabs and I can never scroll down on the settings tab.

I have disabled 2FA on a separate computer then logged out of 1Password completely on my work computer and even deauthorized it from the web page. It is still doing this behavior. Only way I could get it to stop was to uninstall 1Password.

Is there an ETA for a fix for this?

• prvashisht
    prvashisht
    Community Member
    Options

Any update on this? It worked fine for me until 5 minutes ago when 1P went crazy with the number of tabs opening. For now, removing the integration with the app has fixed the issue.

Chrome Version 104.0.5112.101, MacOS version 12.5.1 (21G83)

• adarsb
    adarsb
    Community Member
    Options

We also ran into this issue today. How is this not fixed yet?

• TaylorKing
    TaylorKing
    Community Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

Yeah I am currently 10 minutes intro trialling switching from LastPass to 1Password and this is just a huge cross against 1Pass... what the ...?! How is this not fixed yet?

• duncanj
    duncanj
    Community Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

We ran into this today for several users, but using Chrome on Windows (Chrome: Version 105.0.5195.102 (Official Build) (64-bit)) Windows 19044.1889, Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0). Managed to hack around it to solve but not easy to do. I could not find another article referencing this issue for Windows, so posting here. When is the ETA for a fix ?

• lbxxx
    lbxxx
    Community Member
    Options

Same here, I just enabled 2FA and got into this loop. I'm on MacOS Chrome Version 106.0.5249.119 (Official Build) (arm64).

• brconflict
    brconflict
    Community Member
    Options

Wow! This is a MASSIVE bug. Not only Chrome for FireFox as well. It renders the browser completely useless.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brconflict Sorry for the trouble you are having with 1Password in your browser. This is indeed a known issue with accounts waiting on multi-factor authentication. Our development team is aware of the problem, and they are working on a fix for it.

For now, I recommend this workaround to resolve the issue:

1. Open your browser and go here: https://my.1password.com/signin > Sign in to your 1Password account > Turn off 2FA to your account.
    2. Close and open your browser.
    3. Right-click the 1Password icon in the browser toolbar and select Settings.
    4. Scroll down to "Integrate with 1Password app" at the end of General section and toggle it off > Scroll down to "Accounts & vaults" > Sign out of your account.
    5. Turn on 2FA again > Sign in again.

Once that's done, please restart your computer to ensure no pending process prevents 1Password from connecting with the browser. When your computer is back on, turn on the "Integrate with 1Password app" setting again. If you're asked to authenticate with 2fa at any point, please do so.

Let us know if you need further help!

• viking1978
    viking1978
    Community Member
    Options

I am having same issue in windows 10 chrome and i have to switch to firefox for time being.

Is there any ETA to fix the issue?

• Hey @viking1978,

I'm sorry for the disruption, I can't guarantee a timeframe I'm afraid but I will add your case to the affected users. Can you give Joy's steps a try and let me know if you are then able to continue working in Chrome?

Let me know how you get on!

• lalsimmons
    lalsimmons
    Community Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

Is there any update on this ticket? This issue makes 1password close to useless as any adds or edits go into this loop. I have a hard time understanding how this isn't important as so many people use Chrome and Macs for both work and personal use. Your workaround is not helpful if you have multiple computers.

• Hey @lalsimmons,

I believe this issue has now been fixed so I'm sorry to hear you are still running into it. Can you send over a console log from your browser as well as a diagnostics report so our team can do some further investigation:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

This discussion has been closed.