Can you import Passkeys from iCloud Keychain just yet?

Options
mancerrss
mancerrss
Community Member

Hi there. Can 1Password import Passkeys saved and handled by iCloud Keychain just yet?

Like for example, I saved a Passkey from Safari on iOS 17 from ebay.com. That Passkeys syncs with my Mac as well.

Can you import that to 1Password Passkey Beta just yet?

• My impression is: you have to re-do that Passkey authentication with 1Password Safari Web extension Passkey Beta — so it saves on your 1Password instead of iCloud Keychain. Can you confirm if that is true?
  • What about Apple ID Passkey from your iPhone? — I see that appleid.apple.com now supports Passkeys. On Chrome desktop, it needs you to scan a QR code from your iPhone, on Chrome for iOS, it just shows above the Keyboard. On Safari for Desktop and iOS, it shows a Passkey popup.

• My theory is: Apple ID Passkeys works differently on Apple devices and it is linked to the device itself, not on iCloud Keychain, as I cannot see it on my iCloud Passkey (it's currently empty).

• Can we import that Apple ID passkey to my Apple ID credentials on 1Password and have my Passkeys handled by 1Password itself?

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.9 (81009046)
Extension Version: 2.13.1 21300102, on BETA channel
OS Version: macOS 14.0 Beta (23A5286g)
Browser: Safari

Comments

• GreyM1P
    Options

Hey there @mancerrss

My impression is: you have to re-do that Passkey authentication with 1Password Safari Web extension Passkey Beta — so it saves on your 1Password instead of iCloud Keychain. Can you confirm if that is true?

Yes. Right now there's no way to export passkeys from iCloud Keychain to import them into 1Password (or anywhere else, for that matter). Luckily, many websites will let you enroll multiple passkeys, so you can add another one, save that in 1Password, and remove the one stored in iCloud Keychain to achieve the same effect.

What about Apple ID Passkey from your iPhone?

This looks to be a custom implementation of passkeys by Apple, and it doesn't work in the industry-standard way. From what we know, there seems to be some link to the iOS device's unique identifier, rather than just a private key as we'd expect with a standard passkey. Whether Apple will allow industry-standard passkeys to sign in to your Apple ID or only their custom flavour of them remains to be seen.

Can we import that Apple ID passkey to my Apple ID credentials on 1Password and have my Passkeys handled by 1Password itself?

Looking at the two previous questions, we can say:

• you can't export passkeys out of iCloud Keychain, so you'll need to save them into 1Password as you use them, and
    • passkeys for your Apple ID work differently in a custom way that only works with Apple devices

I hope that answers your questions, but let me know if I can be of any further help. :)

— Grey

This discussion has been closed.