1P3 for iOS and grandfathered Dropbox API.

benfdc
benfdc
Community Member
edited March 2013 in iOS

Last weekend, David Chartier posted on the blog that 1P3 users must "hook up 1Password 3 for iOS to Dropbox" before the end of the month or else forfeit the ability to sync. I wonder if you could be a bit clearer about how this grandfathering will work.

My wife and I each own flavors of 1P3 for iOS, which we used to sync our keychains via Dropbox. Loyal customers that we are, we happily purchased a copy of 1P4 for iOS, and now use it to manage our keychains. However, our 1P3 apps have not been retired. We use 1P3 to keep a copy of my keychain on her iPad and a copy of hers on my iPhone. Makes life easier all the way around.

If I understand David's post, we will be grandfathered "for the time being," at least so long as our setup remains as it is now.

But the problem is, it probably won't.

I provide tech support for Alice, Bob, and Carol, including 1Password support. None of them has an iOS device at the moment, but all of them use Dropbox to sync their keychains between computers. Now, let's suppose that, before the end of the month, I reset my 1P3 keychain on my iPhone, sync to Alice's Dropbox, reset again, sync to Bob's Dropbox, reset again, sync to Carol's Dropbox, reset a fourth time, and then hand my iPhone to my wife so that she can sync 1P3 back to her Dropbox and restore her keychain to my iPhone. (My wife, you see, unlike Alice, Bob, and Carol, does not trust me with her passwords. But I digress …)

Time passes. On April Fools Day, neither Alice, Bob, nor Carol is syncing to iOS. Are they grandfathered? Will I still be able to sync my iPhone to their keychains using 1P3 on April 10? How about June 10?

If not, will I be able to sync to their keychains using 1P4?

Thank you for any clarification that you can provide on these points.

—Ben F

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

It is tied to the Dropbox account, so as long as they have synced 1Password data via Dropbox at some point in time they will be all set for the foreseeable future. The issue has no effect on 1Password 4. 1Password 4 users can use or not use Dropbox as they wish. :)

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited March 2013

That's exactly what I needed to know, Khad. And not only that, it's exactly the answer that I was hoping for. Thanks!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Phew! I'm glad that helped.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.