Feature Request - Show TOTP countdown on Quick Access menu when login is expanded

Options
SyberCorp
SyberCorp
Community Member

In light of 1Password currently only supporting TOTP, and given the issues I mentioned on a previous post of needing to wait 30 seconds for the code to expire to use the same login with multiple services with the same vendor (such as Microsoft Office 365) when SSO is unavailable (as is the case on macOS), I'd like to see the TOTP countdown timer displayed next to the Copy One-Time Password option so you know the code has rotated and don't waste more time than is necessary.

Please see the attached image for where I mean I'd like it displayed.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited July 2023
    Options

@SyberCorp

That's a great idea and one I had not realized was not present. I'll let the team know this is something you'd like to see. Err make that the both of us. I can't unsee this now. Thanks again. I can't make a promise on when/if this might be possible, but I'll get it before them.

ref: PB-34461183

• SyberCorp
    SyberCorp
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. Glad I’m not alone.

• GreyM1P
    Options

As a side note, you can also turn on the seconds on your system clock. Knowing that codes roll over at :00 and :30 seconds, this will also help make sure you don't copy a code that's short-lived. I can see Tommy has filed the feedback for you, so that's all done, but that might help as well. :)

• SyberCorp
    SyberCorp
    Community Member
    Options

@GreyM1P That’s one of the first things I enable on any system anyway, but it doesn’t really help with this because it would imply you know when the TOTP cycled down to the second, and the only way to see that would be in the main 1Password view (not the Quick Access menu), unless you just use it to see when 30 seconds have passed even though that could result in having waited 29 extra seconds if it was already only 1 second before the next rotation.

• GreyM1P
    Options

@SyberCorp

it would imply you know when the TOTP cycled down to the second

We do! All time-based one-time passwords roll over at hh:mm:00 and hh:mm:30. As in, all of your one-time passwords will roll over at the exact same moment, at the top and bottom of the minute, since the TOTP algorithm rounds down to the nearest half-minute according to the system clock.

Having a countdown timer on the Quick Access view will certainly help, but as a different way of avoiding copying soon-to-be-stale codes, the seconds on your system clock might well help. For example, I usually make a quick glance to the top-right corner and if I see hh:mm:[25-29] or hh:mm:[55-59], I'll probably just wait the 5 seconds or so until hh:mm:00 or hh:mm:30 to make sure I get a fresh one-time password, unless I'm feeling particularly speedy and think I can copy-paste it in time.

• SyberCorp
    SyberCorp
    Community Member
    Options

@GreyM1P I see. I didn't notice it was designed to round as part of the algorithm. I suppose that makes sense. Even so, it would be nice to have the counter shown in the Quick Access window. It's already displayed in the main 1Password window, so I see no reason it shouldn't be visible in the Quick Access window as well (if for nothing more than uniformity).

• GreyM1P
    Options

@SyberCorp

it would be nice to have the counter shown in the Quick Access window

Oh, for sure! Tommy's filed that feedback, which goes to the Product team for their consideration. They read all customer feedback, so that's the best way for them to learn about the things our customers need and want, and what's working well too.

This discussion has been closed.