Regarding the new Labs feature

Options
Backspaze
Backspaze
Community Member
edited July 2023 in Labs

I've got a couple of questions regarding the new Labs feature.

• As mentioned in this discussion, the link for giving feedback might need some tweaking. At the moment, the only Labs feature available for testing is default details and the Give feedback link from there leads to this announcement which is locked for further commenting. Is the link supposed to lead to a new forum category for Labs where you can just create a new post, or should the link lead to https://1password.community/post/discussion/ so you can just begin typing on the new post?
  • I stumbled upon Labs in the settings by accident and wouldn't have known it was there if I hadn't accessed the settings menu. The announcement post says this about how to access the Labs feature "It's simple! Currently, in both our mobile and desktop beta apps, you'll find a new tab conveniently located on the main navigation bar". To me, the main navigation bar is the dark blue vertical section to the left in the desktop app or the bar at the bottom of the screen in the iOS app. I'm aware of @Ben mentioning in the announcement post that the rollout to iOS has been delayed, but as I'm not seeing Labs in the navigation bar on my Windows desktop, I'm wondering if the feature will be hidden away in the settings, which leads me to the next related point...
  • ...Will there be some kind of notification for when Labs features are added and removed, and perhaps some kind of reminder/warning when there's only a short time left to try a new feature before it's removed from Labs? As mentioned previously, I wasn't even aware that Labs existed but found it by accident. Making the feature as visible as possible (with toggles for both Labs and Labs notifications for those that don't wish to participate) should obviously be the goal here to get as much feedback as possible.

1Password Version: 1Password for Windows 8.10.10 (81010014)
Extension Version: 1Password in the browser 2.14.1 (21400101)
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 22H2
Browser: Firefox

Comments

• Hey Backspaze! Thanks for the feedback. Answers in line below.

As mentioned in this discussion, the link for giving feedback might need some tweaking. At the moment, the only Labs feature available for testing is default details and the Give feedback link from there leads > to this announcement which is locked for further commenting. Is the link supposed to lead to a new forum category for Labs where you can just create a new post, or should the link lead to https://1password.community/post/discussion/ so you can just begin typing on the new post?

Good catch. We'll get that sorted out. Probably need a new category and a thread for each experiment. I'll try to have the link fixed for the next beta.

I stumbled upon Labs in the settings by accident and wouldn't have known it was there if I hadn't accessed the settings menu. The announcement post says this about how to access the Labs feature "It's simple! Currently, in both our mobile and desktop beta apps, you'll find a new tab conveniently located on the main navigation bar". To me, the main navigation bar is the dark blue vertical section to the left in the desktop app or the bar at the bottom of the screen in the iOS app. I'm aware of @Ben mentioning in the announcement post that the rollout to iOS has been delayed, but as I'm not seeing Labs in the navigation bar on my Windows desktop, I'm wondering if the feature will be hidden away in the settings, which leads me to the next related point...

Labs is currently accessible in the settings menu for Desktop and Mobile. We are planning on adding the setting to the extension and the web interface in the future.

...Will there be some kind of notification for when Labs features are added and removed, and perhaps some kind of reminder/warning when there's only a short time left to try a new feature before it's removed from Labs? As mentioned previously, I wasn't even aware that Labs existed but found it by accident. Making the feature as visible as possible (with toggles for both Labs and Labs notifications for those that don't wish to participate) should obviously be the goal here to get as much feedback as possible.

We have a few things planned for this and would love your feedback:

• We are planning on doing a blog post when Labs goes to our stable release channel
    • We also thought about creating a mailing list for Labs updates: What's coming soon, what's leaving, what's graduating in the core product, etc
    • We will likely do in product notifications when new Labs experiments are available as well
  • Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member
    Options

Sounds great @matt.g1P! I prefer in product notifications to email, but it's good to have options for different preferences, and if you can subscribe to the mailing list with an email of your choosing and it not necessarily being tied to the one used for your 1Password account, I'm all for it.

• If we do a newsletter it'll definitely be something where you tell us which email address to send it to!

This discussion has been closed.