New account at fridge-filters.ca doesn't prompt to save credentials

Options

I noticed two issues when creating an account at fridge-filters.ca:

1. I created the account during the checkout process, and 1Password didn't save the generated login in the app at all. Instead, I had to pull out the saved password from Safari's browser extension history.
  2. https://www.fridge-filters.ca/customer/account/login/ doesn't prompt to save credentials with the usual automatic popup when logging in. Instead, I have to manually click the "Save" button first before actually logging in.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.9 (81009046)
Extension Version: 2.13.0
OS Version: macOS 13.5
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hey @deviantintegral,

I'm sorry you are having difficulty on this particular website. I have done some testing on my end.

1. I added an item to my basket and proceeded to check out > sign up. The sign up form was a little interesting, 1Password didn't show a 'Suggested password' prompt beneath the field but when I clicked on the 1Password icon in the field I was able to get it to show, when clicking on this I was able to follow the usual save flow to save my credentials. Can you describe the steps you took and the behaviour you saw? Where did you fill the generated password from that wasn't saved? Did you see a 'Save in 1Password' prompt?

2. I went to https://www.fridge-filters.ca/customer/account/login/ and entered some data into the fields. 1Password then displayed the 'Save in 1Password' prompt beneath the field and on clicking this I could save my credentials. Can you let me know if you saw this prompt as shown below?

• deviantintegral
    deviantintegral
    Community Member
    Options

Can you describe the steps you took and the behaviour you saw? Where did you fill the generated password from that wasn't saved? Did you see a 'Save in 1Password' prompt?

It was during the checkout process itself. I don't remember if I saw the button like you show. What was most confusing is I used a 1Password generated password through the dropdown suggesting, but then the password wasn't listed at all in the desktop app. I would assume once you click the button to use the generated password that a new Login or Password item would be saved to my account.

I do see the button above in the normal login form, which is fine. However, I was expecting 1Password to prompt to save the login when you press enter in the password field, in a dialog spawned (I think) by the desktop app.

I'm wondering if this feature was removed, based on the comments at https://1password.community/discussion/137521/auto-save-login. If so, that's a disappointing regression.

• Hey @deviantintegral,

Thank you for getting back to me.

I would assume once you click the button to use the generated password that a new Login or Password item would be saved to my account.

That's right on clicking on the suggested password beneath a field a save dialog should appear so you can save this password within your 1Password. Can you give this a go on our test website so we can check things are working as they should be:

1. Go to https://fill.dev/form/registration-username
    2. Click into the password field and click on the 'Suggested password' beneath the field
    3. Does a save dialog appear?

If for any reason a password is generated but not saved you should be able to locate this in the 'Passwords' category of your 1Password.

I do see the button above in the normal login form, which is fine. However, I was expecting 1Password to prompt to save the login when you press enter in the password field, in a dialog spawned (I think) by the desktop app.

To save a Login item after successfully signing in requires a few things. To name one in particular, this requires arbitrarily capturing and maintaining data you've entered into fields as well as all the details of the page in the background, assuming you might want to save a login, as you navigate websites.

With that, currently the most efficient and least invasive way to ensure your Login items are secured by 1Password with all of the correct data is by offering to save a new item from within the fields being saved themselves. I know it doesn't seem like the most convenient method, but the conversation is still being had and the feature is still being researched but your security is our main proirity.

I hope this explanation makes sense, let us know if you have any questions.

• deviantintegral
    deviantintegral
    Community Member
    Options

Can you give this a go on our test website so we can check things are working as they should be:

Thanks, that's a handy site!

How would I trigger this dialog using the keyboard only? I think that's why the password never got saved. I can generate a password at https://fill.dev/form/registration-username using the keyboard, but I can't trigger the save item dialog. If I click the generated password dropdown it works, but not if I press the enter key. If this is the case, note this is likely an accessibility issue.

Also, pressing escape doesn't seem to close the dialog even when it is open.

I may have missed it during the 7-8 upgrade, but given this could lead to unsaved logins mentioning during onboarding the workflow change of "save before submitting the form" would be helpful.

but the conversation is still being had and the feature is still being researched but your security is our main proirity.

Makes sense. I'll just say I never once had a problem with whatever logic was in 1Password 7.

• Hey @deviantintegral,

Thank you for getting back to me, I'm sorry for the delay.

I have done some testing and you're totally right, there does appear to be a bug specific to Safari whereby the save dialogue does not appear when using the keyboard to select the generated password.

I have filed an issue with our development team to take a look at this one. I'm so sorry for the disruption, I suggest using your mouse to select the suggested password in the meantime, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

ref: dev/core/core#22375

This discussion has been closed.