Ventura 13.3 Broke 1Password in Safari with Lockdown Mode Enabled

Options
kutpoa
kutpoa
Community Member
edited March 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I've been running 1Password with Lockdown Mode turned on in my OSX system settings for a while now. When I updated to Ventura 13.3 yesterday I started getting the following error message:

Something went wrong
An unknown database error occurred. You can try:
Within the settings of your browser, clear the cache
Reinstall a fresh copy of 1Password to your browser

Clearing the cache did not work, nor did reinstalling the extension.

What worked was turning off Lockdown Mode in the OSX system settings and rebooting. Afterwards, 1password works fine. When I turn lockdown back on, 1password no longer functions in Safari.

1Password Version: 8.10.3
Extension Version: 2.8.1
OS Version: 13.3
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Hello @kutpoa! 👋

I'm sorry that 1Password for Safari isn't working on your Mac when lockdown mode is turned on. I've reproduced the same issue on my own Mac and I've added you to the internal work item open for the issue so that our developers can investigate further.

In the meantime, you'll need to either keep lockdown mode turned off or use another browser. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#20831

• mpc0
    mpc0
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P - I just wanted to mention that I have the same issue. I'm assuming that you're working on it and hope you have a great weekend!

• Matt
  • @mpco

Lock down mode is not supported. Are you using Lock Down mode or are you seeing new wording we have in the browser after you reset the browser history? If so, the team is working to improve that wording. To be clear it would show each time you reset the history.

• jasontally
    jasontally
    Community Member
    Options

Lock down mode isn't supported? Ouch. It worked before 13.3. I guess it's time to look at the macOS password manager.

• GreyM1P
    Options

@jasontally

1Password for Safari relies on parts of macOS which are off-limits to us when Lockdown Mode is turned on.

You won’t be able to use 1Password for Safari if you’ve turned on Lockdown Mode on your Mac.
    You can use 1Password in another browser or fill your usernames and passwords with Universal Autofill instead.

— from If 1Password isn't working in your browser # If you use Lockdown Mode on your Mac

In other browsers, we don't need access to those parts of macOS and 1Password in the browser will continue to work normally.

• UnfitWardrobe
    UnfitWardrobe
    Community Member
    Options

I have this problem too. 1Password is a security tool and as such, should support Lockdown Mode if at all possible. I'm using Firefox exclusively now because of this issue with 1Password for Safari.

• I understand where you are coming from @UnfitWardrobe.

As Grey has mentioned, in order to function 1Password for Safari does rely on parts of macOS that are off limits with lockdown mode enabled so unfortunately its a tricky one for us to work around.

I'm sorry for the trouble caused by this limitation.

• UnfitWardrobe
    UnfitWardrobe
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply @steph.giles , this is understandable as Lockdown Mode is somewhat new. Since it's a known issue, could the 1Password for Safari extension be updated to detect Lockdown Mode and give the user a specific error message rather than "an unknown database error occured"? I spent a fair bit of time researching before I found this thread. Ultimately a solution by 1Password and/or Apple would be best, but a specific error message would be a good first step.

• Thank you for the suggestion @UnfitWardrobe, I have passed your feedback on to the team.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

ref: PB34559506

This discussion has been closed.