Passkey support not working for localhost

Options

I'm using 1Password (release channel "Production") with Chrome beta extension, and am testing support for passkeys on an open source library.

I have a web app running on localhost, and I noticed that, while both Apple and Chrome passkeys work on localhost, 1Password does not – I'm getting a "1Password has encountered a problem" error, and it falls back to Chrome's passkeys.

Is this a known problem, and something that could be fixed? It would help me as a software developer, because I like using Chrome (so I cannot use Apple passkeys yet), but find 1Password's passkeys easier to manage.

1Password Version: 8.10.10
Extension Version: 2.14.1
OS Version: macOS 13.4.1
Browser: Chrome

Comments

• Hi there @jankomarohnic

To try saving and using passkeys with 1Password, both the main 1Password app and the browser extensions need to be on the Beta channel.

In your case, you should switch the main 1Password app to the Beta channel:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Click the 🔽 down arrow at the top of the sidebar and choose Settings.
    3. On the Advanced tab, change "Release channel" to "Beta".
    4. After a minute or two, you'll be offered an update – click Restart Now in the banner to update to the beta.

Give it a try when both are on the Beta channel and let me know how it goes. :)

— Grey

• jankomarohnic
    jankomarohnic
    Community Member
    Options

@GreyM1P Actually, I did try the "Beta" release channel as well, after which I was offered an update, but saving passkeys for localhost still didn't work. Afterwards I reverted to the "Production" release. It seems I'm still on the beta release channel anyway, because I'm not offered an update when I switch now, and the "About" section says:

1Password for Mac 8.10.10
    81010014, on BETA channel

This discussion has been closed.