Autofill Problems with 1Password 8

Options
icebreaker374
icebreaker374
Community Member

I just got a Samsung S23 Ultra and noticed a problem compared to my Note 20 Ultra I had. On my Note I was running 1Password 7, on my S23 Ultra I've updated to version 8.10.8.

What I've noticed is every time I go to sign in to an app the autofill prompt doesn't suggest a login I have to hit Open 1Password and search for it. Previously autofill suggestions would come up with V7 on my Note.

I have my Autofill service set to 1Password and Autofill is turned on in the app. I still get "1Password can't verify that APPNAME should have your password". I don't want to have to fill and update on every app, am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• ag_timothy
    edited July 2023
    Options

Hi @icebreaker374, thanks for writing in.

That doesn't sounds right. My apologies for any disruption to your workflow. On an item that you have not updated with "Fill & Update" but that you do see the "Open 1Password" prompt in the corresponding app, I'd like to ask you to check if an app or website link is included in the item:
    1. Open and unlock 1Password for Android.
    2. Search for and open the item.
    3. Confirm there is an app link similar to my example.

If the item does not contain an app link, stop here and let me know.

If the item does contain an app link I'd like to ask you to check if "Show filling suggestions" is on from Settings > Autofill. If so, please try resetting Autofill by turning the setting off then on again and selecting 1Password as the Autofill service.

If you're seeing the same behavior after resetting Autofill, could you let me know if this only occurs with Apps or with websites as well, if you had previously been using a standalone vault with 1Password 7 and if you have previously migrated your data between any other password managers recently?

Thanks again!

• icebreaker374
    icebreaker374
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_timothy I reset autofill and some entries still don't show a linked app, only the ones I've manually done do. I migrated from Dashlane to 1Password about 3 weeks ago or so and upgraded to V8 within the last couple days.

• jkane001
    jkane001
    Community Member
    Options

I've noticed this too, but I've found a workaround that seems to work consistently (and might help troubleshoot): If you do anything that changes the focus of Chrome WRT the OS, then bring it back to focus, it works. What I mean by that: when you are on a form that isn't popping suggestions, go back to the launcher (phone's home screen) and then go back to the browser. Even just opening the recents view (on my Pixel, by swiping up from the bottom of the phone just slightly) and picking the browser again will do it.

It does seem that once 1Password is unlocked, it's more consistent for other sites on the first attempt, so it seems to be a combination of things happening, perhaps? Started (for me) a few weeks ago, but I just kept forgetting to mention it. I'm on version 8.10.9 (81008012), and I'm in the beta channel.

• jaywalker123
    jaywalker123
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for sharing

• hochleitner
    hochleitner
    Community Member
    Options

I'm facing a similar issue. I've searched through so many posts like this one, but there does not seem to be a solution besides the usual "autofill on modern Android is still not great" postings. For me, it usually helps to switch to 1password and unlock it. And once that's done, autofill suggestions appear. But honestly, it's very cumbersome, and I hope this gets resolved soon. It's no joy to use 1P 8 on Android right now.

• Hi @icebreaker374, thanks for your reply.

App links do not typically get migrated during an import/export process. I'm sorry to say that you will likely need to manually relink Logins to the corresponding apps. However, that would be the case with the previous and current version of 1Password for Android. Where you may see some differences in behavior is with apps that use an in-app browser for sign in as website links can transfer through import/export processes.

Are you seeing the behavior with websites in your browser as well?

Hi, @jkane001 and @hochleitner, thanks for writing in. It sounds like you may encountering a separate issue that we are currently investigating.

From our investigation into reports of this sort of behavior we believe it may be related to changes in Autofill that have caused a slight delay in the filling response, or that browsers that rely on Autofill compatibility are not restarting the Autofill service in some cases once it is stopped.

I'd like to ask you to try filling in another supported browser that does not use Autofill compatibility such as Firefox or DuckDuckGo. Is filling behavior more consistent for you there?

We've also included some improvements to Autofill in our recent beta releases. If you'd like to update to the beta and check the filling behavior in Chrome you can find steps to join in our guide: Use 1Password beta releases

I will note that there is a regression with the latest beta that causes Biometric unlock to be reset. So, if you update, your password will be required to unlock the app before resetting Biometric unlock.

@jaywalker, let us know if there's anything we can help with!

• hochleitner
    hochleitner
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the update, @ag_timothy. It sounds like there are many sub-issues that are all leading to autofill not working correctly. It's sometimes hard to separate them, but what you say makes total sense. I'll try and opt-in to the betas and will see if that works.

• Thanks @hochleitner! I'm happy I could provide some assistance.

You're certainly right about Autofill being a bit tricky. There are a lot of potential root causes for issues that arise, and they can all have similar symptoms. We really appreciate hearing reports from folks like you as it can provide additional data points to untangle the issue and work towards a resolution. So, thanks again for writing in!

• DebK
    DebK
    Community Member
    Options

Has there been any development in fixing this? It's getting a little frustrating as I use it for work and log into diffrent websites everyday. 😬 Absolutely love 1PW but if this doesn't get sorted I'll have to consider changing providers. Fingers crossed it will get sorted.

• Hi @DebK, thanks for following up with me. I can certainly understand the frustration when Autofill isn't working as expected. I'm very sorry for the ongoing trouble here.

While there isn't always a "silver bullet" for filling issues, we have a number of tweaks that have been added and that are still on the way that should help improve or resolve underlying issues discussed in this thread.

If you have the chance to update 1Password and your browser to the latest versions, let us know if you're still seeing inconsistent filling behavior.

If so, I'd like to ask you to try temporarily modifying your clipboard settings if you're using Gboard and to restart your browser when you next run into some inconsistent filling behavior.

Clipboard settings in Gboard:
    1. Tap a text field to open the keyboard.
    2. Tap the cog icon (tap the four square icon first if you don't see the cog).
    3. Select Clipboard.
    4. Set Show recently copied text and images in the suggestions bar off.

Restarting the browser:
    1. Tap the Recents button on your device (square or three bars button at the bottom of the screen. If you're using gestures, it's typically a short swipe up on home.
    2. Swipe up on the browser window to close the app.
    3. Re-open the browser then tap a sign in field again.

Thanks again!

This discussion has been closed.