Autofill prompts only appear after opening 1password app

Options
sethmad
sethmad
Community Member

I've been encountering a problem on most web sites when using Chrome that autofill prompts do not appear until after I open the 1password app.

I click or long click a login or password field, and no prompt or suggestions appear. No autofill prompts appear above the keyboard. I will then open 1password, copy the password, and return to the site. At that point the suggestion prompts appear as normal.

I encountered this when logging into this community before this post. I also confirmed it on this site:

https://reg.usps.com/entreg/LoginAction_input?app=RMIN&appURL=https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/secure/DashboardAction_input.action?restart=1

1password 8.10.8
Chrome 114.0.5735.196
Android 13
Pixel 5A

1Password Version: 8.10.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android
Browser: Chrome

Comments

• Ekalb
    Ekalb
    Community Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

Hello,
    @sethmad

This is the normal behavior if the app is paired with the extension.

If you want to decouple extension and app.
    In the application: Settings > Browser and you uncheck "Connect with 1Password in the browser"
    For filling, you will obviously need to unlock 1Password by clicking on its icon in your browser.

By decoupling the app and extension, you'll need to unlock 1Password every time in the browser after closing and reopening it.

If the app and extension are paired, 1Password will remain unlocked in the browser as long as the app is unlocked. So even after closing the browser and then reopening it

I find it easier to pair the app and the extension

• Hi @sethmad and @Ekalb thanks for writing.

@sethmad, I'm sorry there has been some inconsistent filling behavior on your device. I did some testing with the forum website and the USPS website and did not see the same.

I'd like to ask you to turn filling suggestions off then shut down and restart Chrome:
    1. Open and unlock 1Password for Android.
    2. Tap the account or collection icon.
    3. Tap Settings > Autofill.
    4. Tap Show filling suggestion off.
    5. Open device settings.
    6. Select Apps > Chrome.
    7. Tap Force stop.
    8. Open Recents (square button on the bottom row or a short swipe up on the home screen).
    9. If open, swipe up on the Chrome window to close Chrome.
    10. Re-open Chrome and test filling on a few sites.

Let us know how that goes and thanks again.

@Ekalb, it sounds like you're referring to the 1Password browser extension. Android mobile browsers do not support the 1Password browser extension, instead 1Password for Android's Autofill service is used for filling and saving. While helpful, I don't believe your suggestion will apply in this situation. Thank you regardless!

• Ekalb
    Ekalb
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,
    @ag_timothy
    The fact that it is the Android version does not appear in the message but only in the additional informations that I had not read.
    So sorry for the confusion.

• sethmad
    sethmad
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_timothy, that fix worked temporarily, but after a restart the problem returned as before.

• jkane001
    jkane001
    Community Member
    Options

I've noticed this too, but I've found a workaround that seems to work consistently (and might help troubleshoot): If you do anything that changes the focus of Chrome WRT the OS, then bring it back to focus, it works. What I mean by that: when you are on a form that isn't popping suggestions, go back to the launcher (phone's home screen) and then go back to the browser. Even just opening the recents view (on my Pixel, by swiping up from the bottom of the phone just slightly) and picking the browser again will do it.

It does seem that once 1Password is unlocked, it's more consistent for other sites on the first attempt, so it seems to be a combination of things happening, perhaps? Started (for me) a few weeks ago, but I just kept forgetting to mention it. I'm on version 8.10.9 (81008012), and I'm in the beta channel.

• Hi @Ekalb, thanks for following up with us. That's no problem! There's a lot of information in this thread, it's easy to miss a few details.

Hi @sethmad, thanks for giving that a try. I'm sorry to hear that only worked temporarily. Hi @jkane001, thanks for your input on this.

From our investigation into reports of this sort of behavior we believe it may be related to changes in Autofill that have caused a slight delay in the filling response, or that browsers that rely on Autofill compatibility are not restarting the Autofill service in some cases once it is stopped.

I'd like to ask you to try filling in another supported browser that does not use Autofill compatibility such as Firefox or DuckDuckGo. Is filling behavior more consistent for you there?

We've also included some improvements to Autofill in our recent beta releases. If you'd like to update to the beta and check the filling behavior in Chrome you can find steps to join in our guide: Use 1Password beta releases

I will note that there is a regression with the latest beta that causes Biometric unlock to be reset. So, if you update, your password will be required to unlock the app before resetting Biometric unlock.

• timbishop
    timbishop
    Community Member
    Options

Just wanted to add a "me too" to this. Pixel phone with latest Android, same situation as above. I'd noticed when coming out to the app to copy the password as a workaround that the autofill was working when coming back to Chrome. @jkane001's suggestion of just switching focus from Chrome to something else and back is sufficient.

Will give the beta a whirl.

• belzy
    belzy
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for this issue. Pixel 7.

• Kumnaa
    Kumnaa
    Community Member
    Options

Another +1 for this on my Pixel 7

• terahertz
    terahertz
    Community Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

Signed up just to post.

1pw8 has been a nuisance for a while now on my OnePlus 9 pro.

Got a new nothing phone 2 and exactly the same issues.

Have to open and login to 1password then switching back to the app or chrome for a chance at autofill showing me some autofill options.

• Hi @timbishop, @belzy, @Kumnaa and @terahertz thanks for writing in and letting us know you're seeing this behavior as well.

The investigation on this continues and we're looking at a few optimizations to Autofill that should help. My apologies for any disruption. When you next run into inconsistent or non-responsive Autofill in Chrome I'd like to ask you to try restarting the browser then let us know if you see any improvement in behavior.

To restart Chrome, you can open the Recents menu on your device. Recents can be opened by tapping the square or three bars icon along the bottom of your screen. If you use gestures, it's typically a short swipe up from the bottom of the screen. From there you can locate the Chrome window, swipe up on it, then reopen Chrome.

Thanks again!

• belzy
    belzy
    Community Member
    Options

By turning off the suggestions and switching to a prompt above the keyboard it seems to work now without having to switch focus. You still need to click on the 1Password button above the keyboard, but I can live with that. Just glad it works every time now.

• Hi @belzy, thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that helped!

If you're seeing consistent behavior in the browser now, you can try re-enabling "Show filling suggestions".

If the inconsistency returns, I would suggest confirming your browser is up to date as well as restarting your browser if you see unresponsive behavior. You can restart your browser by opening Recents (the square icon on a Pixel or a short swipe up on home), swiping up on the browser window in Recents, then reopening the browser.

This discussion has been closed.